• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Prevent Pages From Showing Up In Non-english Speaking Google Results

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Catz

Catz

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 01:20 PM

Someone asked a question today I have not heard discussed, wonder if anyone has any advice.

How do you prevent your web page from showing up in Google results for foreign non-English speaking countries?

They have noticed that 25 to 50% of their organic Google hits can be from these countries. They always result in a back-click, I.E. Bounce.

I found this code: <meta name="google" value="notranslate"> but don't know if that is going to achieve what they need.

Anyone ever run across this issue before? searchme.gif

#2 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 05:23 AM

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to do this?

You didn't actually state this, but I assume the page in question is in English. But that doesn't mean it's of no interest in non-English speaking countries. There are many people in such countries who speak English perfectly well.

If you're worried about the high bounce rate (how you do detect that?), then maybe you should be focusing on the quality of the snippet text - or the relevancy of the content relative to the search terms.

Just a thought.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,916 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 09:54 AM

You can target which country to target via webmaster tools, but they are worrying about a non-issue, as Mikl has suggested.

#4 Webnauts

Webnauts

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:43 PM

Maybe you would like to try implementing the as Google claims new markup: http://googlewebmast...al-content.html

It is not new to me, but for Google seems to be so: www.orionsweb.net/2006/10/multilingual-websites/

Worth trying out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!