• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Can Your Username Be Your Company Name In Forums

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Possumnz

Possumnz

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 05:45 AM

Hi

I am a member of a number of forums. Is it OK for me to have my website URL as my Username. Or would this look bad in your eyes or even not the thing to do.

What would you advise me to do. ?

Thank you

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,878 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 08:23 AM

It depends. What would be the purpose of using it that way? Having it be your company name is good for branding if you're posting comments as your company brand.

But having your user name be your URL may or may not make sense depending on what it is.

#3 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,709 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 03:10 PM

Personally any forum member with a url as a username means they have a large red "Ban Me!" target painted on them.

#4 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 01:47 PM

As a forum operator I have accepted members who use their company names as usernames but include the links in their signatures. This way my other users know they are dealing with someone who may be acting in an "official" capacity (even if it's only a merchant). But it's really something you should discuss with the forum operator. I think most would appreciate that.

I would never want to use a forum screen name as a means of promoting a business. That's a very weak promotional channel, in my opinion.

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,878 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 03:59 PM

I really don't care if someone registers here with their URL as their user name. I will likely suspect they're only here to promote themselves though, so they'll have to prove otherwise.

#6 Possumnz

Possumnz

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 01:43 AM

thx everyone.. I think I will stick to PossumNZ. Its more fun that way. And not too pushy. Some times I need a little direction wink1.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!