• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Rel=auth, Rel=me Rel=me Can Go On Other Social Media Profiles, Not Jus

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DJKay

DJKay

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 03:29 PM

I have read through Google's documentation & lots of articles on this and I have a question.

I know it consists of a:

Link from your article or blog post to your author page using rel="author'
Link from your author page to Google profile page using rel="me"
Link from your Google profile page to your author page using rel="me"

Now, more than a few articles say social media profiles [not just your Google profile], so you can have the rel=me in links from Twitter, Facebook, etc.does not have to be Google + specifically or does it? A sample of articles below:
http://www.christoph...r-tags-for-seo/
http://microformats.org/wiki/RelMeAuth

Here is why I am asking. We have third party validated content sites that we sell subscriptions to. For every article, there is an abstract page describing the article that sits outside the firewall. [Here is an example of an abstract page [http://www.hrexpertonline.com/article.cfm?id=5840&promo=] I would like to have our authors [the people who write these articles] get added viability in the index via rel=auth rel=me convention. Our editors do a yomen's job getting this content developed and so if we have options in regards to the social media profile that we use in this, it would make selling the whole thing alot easier to the product director and head of editorial.

Next, what happens when two authors or a group of author write an article, how does it work then?

Thanks in advance. DJKay

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,619 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 07:21 AM

As I understand it, you can connect to profile pages on a number of sites, but for Google to recognize the author, show the author in a rich snippet, and apply whatever ranking signals they get from the authority earned by that author you have to point to a Google profile. The connection to the other profiles can be made from the Google profile page. That's why, if you've been following the sometimes angry discussions on Google+, Google is insisting on people identifying themselves by their "real" names.

#3 DJKay

DJKay

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 08:48 AM

Qwerty, thank you. Okay..their party..their rules I guess. How does it work when there are two authors or its a team writing situation? Or is it just the same, just two people are assigned the citation for the article?

If there is anyone else out there additional opinions on this always welcome. Thanks in advance. DJKay

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,961 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 10:43 AM

It's my understanding that anytime you link to any profile page of yourself--say a Wikipedia page, or an author page on a site where your articles are published, or even your Twitter profiles, etc., you would use the rel=me attribute. You would do this from your Google Profile page (they help you do it by asking if it's a profile page) and you would also do it from your own About Us page or anywhere else where you may link to one of your profiles.

I've done it on my About Us page where I link to my various profiles.

Also, when I write an article, and I have the byline: By Jill Whalen I link my name to my About Us page using the rel=author attribute. You can see that on any of my recent articles in the Newsletter Archives.

As I mentioned in the other thread, I haven't noticed it doing anything yet, but I'm hopeful that over time my pic will start to appear next to my articles in Google's SERPs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!