• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

White Label Re-seller Hosting?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 lister

lister

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 05:32 AM

Hi my programer just placed our site on "his" hosting.

When I checked the hosting via an IP check and googled the info it comes up as websitewelcome.com as a nameserver but there doesn't seem to be any service at all - just a blank site for the websitewelcome.com

Anyways, my site has been down for a couple of hours now and I checked the other sites on the IP and they are all down as well.

When I googled the above hosting service it says that it is a "White Label Re-Hosting Service"

Do you think that this is an unwise set-up?

It looks and feels like a cheap and free for all type of hosting that might attract spam and blacklisted sites?

Or - is this re-selling something I misunderstand and which is quite safe?

Thansk

#2 mickmel

mickmel

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 06:30 AM

I believe he's doing that through WildWestDomains.com, which is connected to GoDaddy in some way. While I'm not a fan of GoDaddy hosting in particular (weird database setups, generally slow servers), the fact that he's a reseller doesn't make it inherently worse.

#3 lister

lister

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:57 AM

so would the hosting likely be with godaddy? Just curious to know - its always good to be a little cautious epseically with new partnerships.

Just been prudent!

Also - how do you check the neighborhood that you are on - meaning that is there a way to see your neighbors and whether they are blacklisted in any way?

My overall concern is that I want to make sure that these "basics" are carried out b/c otherwise all marketing in an SEO sense is a waste of time of google doesn't like whom I (unknown to me) hang out with.

Thanks

#4 AffiliateClue

AffiliateClue

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 09:41 AM

That's the nameserver for Hostgator shared hosting accounts.

#5 lister

lister

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 10:23 AM

QUOTE(AffiliateClue @ Sep 21 2011, 03:41 PM) View Post
That's the nameserver for Hostgator shared hosting accounts.

100% correct - I just checked - thanks for that.

Anyone have any reason to doubt why this hosting "could" be bad?

Only reason I can think of would be something like that there are many suspect websites being hosted there?

I guess my question is a bit open ended - but anyone reading this have any bad experience with dodgy sites being hosted in gatorhosting and that being bad for SEO?

Thanks

#6 AffiliateClue

AffiliateClue

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 12:36 PM

I think the only thing to be concerned about is reliability/uptime. That usually isn't a big problem with Hostgator, but the proof is in the pudding; if your site is down, your site is down. If I were in that position, I would not hesitate to just get my own hosting account instead of letting some third- or fourth-party host my site on their personal account.

#7 harpsound

harpsound

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 01:02 PM

Do not penny pinch on hosting.
Find one who competes on service not price.
One that you can phone.
Designers come and go but your host can be a source of continuity.
S

#8 Catz

Catz

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:55 PM

Having your "programmer" host your website can come with it's own set of issues.

Did they put the URL (your web address) in your name or in their name when they registered it? It should be set up in your name.

What happens when you decide you would like to work with another developer, and they need to get access to your website content? Will this programmer let them in, or disappear on you and hold your website contents hostage?

You need to make sure you have access to and control over your hosting, your domain name and your own web site content.

As harpsound mentioned, designers come and go.

Just a few things to think about.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!