• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

New Domain Vs Old Domain Question

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Jadee77

Jadee77

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 11:42 AM

Hi, I'm running into a bit of a snag on a website redo and would really appreciate some thoughts. I am working with a company whose site is so old and their hosting company is so old that they do not support any of the newer technologies like wordpress, joomla, drupal, even php etc. etc. If you saw the hosting company's site you would know that to be true.

Soooo, I need to switch their site to a new hosting company AND build their new site. Originally, I was thinking I would like to buy them a new domain that adds their biggest keyword along with their brand + '.com'. Then I would build the site on the new domain (and new hosting) without there being any upset to the old site. Once everything was finished I would just point the old domain to the new. BUT then I realized I would probably be losing all the old domain's age juice if I point the old domain to the new. Is that right?

I was thinking this would be a relatively smooth transition, but now realizing it may be tougher if I have to somehow build the new site onto the old domain (after switching it to the new host). I really don't want the old site to have to go down for 2 weeks.

They are not really ranking for anything at all right now even after all these years, but still I would like to keep their domain age if possible. Any advice anyone can give on this? I think my biggest question is if I point the old domain to the new, I am losing their domain age correct? (i.e. the old domain won't transfer it's age to the new, am I right in that assumption?)

Edited by Jadee77, 08 September 2011 - 11:57 AM.

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 12:34 PM

You can do it either way. Keeping the same domain or 301 redirecting it later. Just be sure to tell Google through your Webmaster Tools account that you're switching domain names as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!