• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Deceptive Marketing: A Necessary Evil For Search Marketers?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,880 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 07:53 PM

Thought forum members might be interested in my latest HRA article:

Deceptive Marketing: A Necessary Evil for Search Marketers?

QUOTE(Article Snippet)
Lying in any form is deception.

Even if it's just a tiny white lie. Even if it gets you more links. Even if it gets you more business. Even if it makes you look better in the eyes of your boss or client.

#2 cfreek

cfreek

AAAHHHH!!1one1!

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:57 AM

I had to chime in here and offer up a "Bravo! appl.gif "

#3 Catz

Catz

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 05:07 PM

You are right, the person you are inside determines whether lying and deception are considered "necessary", or even "evil".

Personally, if I hired a company to perform a service for me and they did it in a way that involved any form of lying, I would wonder what else they were doing that was deceptive. Were they overcharging me? Did they even have the skills they claimed to have?

No doubt! There are so many unscrupulous salesmen out there that don't think twice about lying on a very regular basis. It is the perfect position for compulsive liars, those who even lie to themselves about things. Most of us have probably known someone like this in sales. These same people get into marketing, learn about SEO and jump in with both feet, twisting it into something you couldn't even recognize.

link building in and of itself borders on being a deceptive practice because it's usually done to secure a fake "vote" for a website. It's an industry that shouldn't exist, and wouldn't exist if Google didn't place so much weight on links. If it weren't for that aspect of Google's algorithm, we'd have website owners giving and getting links for the right reasons, with a lot less deception (and payment) going on behind the scenes.

Many who do not understand optimization think link building is what SEO is...what an SEO does.

You have to dig deeper into Google results to find what you are looking for these days, sifting through all the junk coming up in the early results of so many searches. Someday Google will catch on.

Which is more important, content or links:

Did you ever notice how many times you can tell it was someone with a business posting positive reviews, or someone promoting a book posting the 5 star review? How reliable is something like that? Totally useless. Sometimes the terminology they use is a giveaway, other times it's the same review posted across multiple sites.

Unscrupulous marketers post negative reviews, articles and feedback along with those who were truly dissatisfied. Usually, if you surf online enough, you catch on to a lot of it and begin to ignore it altogether. There has to be a lot of feedback from various sources for something to be more trustworthy.

Just my personal opinion. searchme.gif

How funny, in looking for an article, didn't realize it at first but the one I chose as most appropriate was by HR regular Michael:
http://www.seo-theor...etic-than-ever/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!