• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Looking To Enhance My Wordpress Site/theme

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ganalon

ganalon

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 05:32 PM

I've got a web directory site that uses WordPress. There are many things I like about the look, feel and usability of my current theme. However, there features I'd like to add. I suspect some of them may be available with plug ins while others will require some PHP/WordPress development.

The site works fine, but is only 50% automated at best. It uses forms with Captcha to take URL submissions which get emailed to me. I manually review them and if they meet my criteria I manually publish them to the directory. Clunky, but effective.

I'd really like the submissions to get added to a MySQL database (as well as submit an email). Secondly I'd like to automatically traverse the new database entries, ping and scrape the URLs (mindful of robots.txt), and categorize them into a few categories: no issues, manual review, clearly denied (bad URL, NSFW). This could be done with a chron job or through other (WordPress or non-WordPress) methods. Finally I'd like to automatically update the WordPress directory content for "no issues" submissions.

I could hire a developer to work for (a) money, (b\) shares in the company... but first I'd like to see how far I can get by myself. My non-web S/W development skills are pretty solid but my web S/W dev skills are minimal.

Any advice on good WordPress development sites or books? Another other advice?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by ganalon, 28 August 2011 - 05:42 PM.

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,039 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 11:18 AM

Would it not be simpler to port your theme to PHLD which has a articles section as well.

#3 ganalon

ganalon

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 07:17 PM

QUOTE(chrishirst @ Aug 29 2011, 10:18 AM) View Post
Would it not be simpler to port your theme to PHLD which has a articles section as well.

Interesting, it looks pretty affordable.

#4 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,636 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 09:33 AM

Sorry to be late to the party. If you haven't gone down the road of porting yet, there are several WP plugins that might do the trick for you, or could at least get you started with figuring out the code to make what you want:

Business Directory (free)
Wordpress Link Directory (free)
DirectoryPress (paid)

HTH! smile.gif

--Torka mf_prop.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!