• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Ga Advanced Segments: Conditions & Values

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 DJKay

DJKay

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 04:21 PM

We run several seminars. Each seminar has its own site. We set up two goals: the registration process and brochure downloads. I am trying to understand how many people actually registered and downloaded a brochure. This is important because we are trying to assess whether having a downloadable brochure for the event, in its current form [its a pdf] actually has any impact on registration. I went in and set up the following Advanced Segments:

Include: Registration Goal Completions Greaterthan 0

AND

Include: Brochure download Completions Greaterthan 0

And got nothing..no data

Tried it again:

Include: Registration Goal Completions equal to 1999 [this is the value we used when setting up the registration goal-its the cost of a seat]

AND

Include: Brochure download Completions equal to 1

Tried it again:

Include: Registration Goal Completions less than 1

AND

Include: Brochure download Completions less than 1

I got data but it feels funny to me because I wonder if its the inverse because its less than. I know somethings wrong because I had some of the other marketers go home and register for a seminar and download a brochure in the same session. I checked it and I am still getting the same data. I know that GA sets cookies so if someone comes to the site once, say downloads a brochure, leaves and comes back in another session, and registers. So I have some questions:

1) When your talking about goals, what do the conditions represent?

2) What is a value? Is it the value you put in for the goal you set up? How is it being used in this case?

3) Next, like I said above, GA should know its the same visitor because of the cookie but, does it render goals for the same user in the same session if the user completes two goals?

Any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. DJKay

#2 DJKay

DJKay

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 03:33 PM

Alright, here is what I found out so far. Apparently, when you use an ecommerce set up in GA, they only render one goal because you can have one user buy something but have multiple transactions from someone. So they are not able to give me data for the cross section of registrations and pdf downloads. We use the ecommerce set up for seminar registrations because we want to be able to track revenue.

In the new GA, you can have an event as a goal and in their view, its seems like this is what they consider a micro conversion..so unless someone knows of a hack or any special regex, I think I am out of luck on this.

I am going to have to go back and redo all my seminar and event sites and use event tracking and have them fire off an event when someone downloads a pdf. Then I can do it..

What a pain in the butt...really...IT is just going to love me...DJKay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!