• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Google+1 Metadata Tag Itemscope, Itemprop Etc

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Philo

Tom Philo

Photographer

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 02:22 PM

I saw on Google's Webmaster Blog (http://googlewebmast...l.blogspot.com/) about the +1 button that they have stated that they, plus Bing, and others, use the schema.org attributes of itemscope, itemprop, heading, img, paragrpah etc to add metadata within those (and other) tags to enhance the desciptions of what the item to search engines in order to bring up ehanced data in search engines.

Dublin Core metadata was supposed to do that (and I did not do anything that Dublin core recommended since it seemed to only help librarians within their closed systems and not real people on the web) and now I see that Google is recommending schema.org meta data attributes - so will the herd follow?

Do others think that this will catch on and the billions of pages will be reedited to add these into them (or only new pages?).

I can see value of doing so, but that is a LOT of work for an existing site - even my small 350 page site.

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,003 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 10:48 AM

Do others think that this will catch on and the billions of pages will be reedited to add these into them (or only new pages?).

It's doubtful it will catch on for a very long time. Most website designers don't even know what to put in Title tags wink1.gif

#3 Ignoramus

Ignoramus

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 02:28 PM

This is a question Iíve been pondering for the last few days.

After reading a couple of articles about the schema.org mark up Iím left with the impression that:

1. It should help the supporting engines (Google, Bing, Yahoo) categorise the page (what itís about) and may improve their ability to match it to a search query (depending on their interpretation of user intent for that query).

2. It might give you more control over the snippet displayed for your result in the SERPs although the Google Ďrich snippets testing toolí is pretty non-committal about that.

It sounds like one of those things that might do some good, canít do any harm, but probably isnít worth busting a gut over.

Like you, I have a site with pages in the hundreds not thousands. Inserting the relevant mark up from schema.org on the pages that might benefit isnít that difficult or time-consuming.

Iíll be doing it a few pages at a time Ė when I have time. Itís not a priority.

#4 suzstephens

suzstephens

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 12:28 PM

I began adding them to my clients' sites when I noticed that the newest version of Google Analytics includes social metrics. However, soon afterwards I began getting spam SEO emails offering Likes and +1s in quantity. So, I suspect that if they become just another venue for spammy SEO, Google will eventually begin to ignore them.

By the way, I add them to my page templates, not to the actual pages themselves. I would never try to manage a 350 page site without some sort of template system, even if it's only a rudimentary as Dreamweaver templates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!