• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Starting With Supplemental Content Before Main Content Is Ready?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 abreathof

abreathof

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 02:54 PM

I'll be launching a website that is database dependent. That database (and the pages used to search the site's database) won't be ready to launch until Winter at the earliest. I have a domain and placeholder home page, giving a brief description of what the site will be and when to expect it to launch. I did this mainly to get my site up there, so the URL will have a bit of history. In the meantime, I've been writing content that will supplement the info I eventually have in the database.

I was thinking about adding this content (with links to it from the placeholder home page) before the full site is up and running. Is this a good or bad idea, having the "Extra" info out there, before the main website functions are working? The content is supplemental, and does stand on it's own. But once the site is launched, it will not be the main part of my site... Just additional tools and tips for users of the site. (probably will be helpful to non-users of the site too)

I was thinking this approach might be better than just having the "coming soon" type placeholder I have right now. I could still advertise that the site will be launched soon, but the home page would also have some links to content (meaning there would be more than just the placeholder home page available.) From other posts, it looks like it doesn't matter if I add this supplemental content in bits and pieces as I write it, or all at once.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and suggestions.

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,880 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 07:29 AM

Anything is better and more useful than Coming Soon.

#3 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:54 PM

I can't give advice on the SEO aspects of your question. But from a visitor's point of view, "Coming soon" (or "Under construction") must surely be a waste of time.

After all, who is going to stumble across such as site and say to themselves, "Gosh, I must remember to come back here when the site is ready"?

By all means, add some useful content as an interim measure. Or, put all your efforts into developing your main database and get it up and running as soon as possible. But don't bother with "coming soon".

#4 abreathof

abreathof

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 04:57 PM

Looks like I mistakenly thought it was important to have at least some presence online rather than none.

My programmer is working on getting all of the php features working for my site, so I can't really make that happen any faster. But it does sound as if I should add some of my "tips and helpful hint" files as links from my homepage, so I have some content available, even if it is only very general and supplemental.

Thanks to you both.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!