• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

301 Permanent Redirect?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Khurri

Khurri

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 12:08 PM

Dear Friends

I have a website which I want to transfer to a new domain. Suppose I have www.abc.com which I want to transfer to a new domain www.xyz.com. I did lot of SEO on www.abc.com and got good ranking on some keywords.

My question is if I permanently redirect (301 redirect) www.abc.com to www.xyz.com, will it pass all the backlink value of old domain to new one, and will the new domain gain rankings on the same keywords which I optimized for old domain.

If it is not the case, what could be the damages.

Thanks

Khurram

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,880 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 12:37 PM

If you're not changing anything else then yes. Be sure to also change the address in Webmaster Tools.

#3 Khurri

Khurri

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 02:15 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Aug 22 2011, 12:37 PM) View Post
If you're not changing anything else then yes. Be sure to also change the address in Webmaster Tools.

Thanks Jill

I am also going to change the structure of the website. I am going to add new pages, new RSS feeds, new design, new body content so on and so-forth, but the theme of the website will be the same (e.g graphic design website will still be graphic design website). What will be the repercussion if I still redirect the old domain to new one, or will I be safe?

Regards;

Khurram

#4 Tiggerito

Tiggerito

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 03:09 PM

Don't just do a domain wide redirect. Try and 301 redirect all the old pages to the closest matching pages on the new website.

This will ensure visitors via the old links still get what they want, and the search engines will update the indexed pages in an appropriate way.

I believe search engines may dock ranking if they believe a new pages content does not match up well with the old one. So the batter they match up the safer you are.

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,880 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 07:33 AM

QUOTE(Khurri @ Aug 22 2011, 03:15 PM) View Post
I am also going to change the structure of the website. I am going to add new pages, new RSS feeds, new design, new body content so on and so-forth, but the theme of the website will be the same (e.g graphic design website will still be graphic design website). What will be the repercussion if I still redirect the old domain to new one, or will I be safe?

Then you need to read all my SEO redesign articles (Jill Whalen)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!