• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Free Link Building Tools - Good Our Bad?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Rainshine

Rainshine

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:52 PM

I am quite new to this and looking for some advice from some experienced folks like yourselves!
I have heard a lot about free link building tools - the ones you see listed on google when you do a search - and wondered if anyone had tried any and if so what they thought of them? I am considering this but dont want to jeopardise our position on google/be penalised for using them.
Honest thoughts and opinions greatly appreciated. thanks in advance. i think there are a few older threads on this topic but thought as things change so quickly in the online world that it would be good getting some up to date advice. searchme.gif

#2 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,122 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 01:40 PM

QUOTE(Rainshine @ Aug 17 2011, 10:52 AM) View Post
I am quite new to this and looking for some advice from some experienced folks like yourselves!
I have heard a lot about free link building tools - the ones you see listed on google when you do a search - and wondered if anyone had tried any and if so what they thought of them? I am considering this but dont want to jeopardise our position on google/be penalised for using them.
Honest thoughts and opinions greatly appreciated. thanks in advance. i think there are a few older threads on this topic but thought as things change so quickly in the online world that it would be good getting some up to date advice. searchme.gif

There is risk entailed with every short cut. I don't recommend that people use any of these tools at all, but if you don't know enough to understand and manage or mitigate the risks these kinds of tools bring to search engine optimization, you're better off ignoring them.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:59 PM

There really aren't any tools, especially free ones that can help you get real links.

#4 Rainshine

Rainshine

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 02:35 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Aug 18 2011, 03:59 AM) View Post
There really aren't any tools, especially free ones that can help you get real links.

thanks for the advice, gonna just look for ones manually i think. safer and cheaper all round to get the natural ones.
kindest regards

#5 ForumEngine

ForumEngine

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 05:46 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Aug 17 2011, 10:59 PM) View Post

Apologies, but this is incorrect.

I would agree that there are probably a number of link building tools that are ineffective, inadvisable or even dangerous. Surely it's useful to warn webmasters about these tools.

That's quite different than saying there are no useful and free link building tools.

#6 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,122 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 01:18 PM

QUOTE(ForumEngine @ Sep 5 2011, 03:46 PM) View Post
Apologies, but this is incorrect.

I would agree that there are probably a number of link building tools that are ineffective, inadvisable or even dangerous. Surely it's useful to warn webmasters about these tools.

That's quite different than saying there are no useful and free link building tools.

There are free tools that help people organize linking data. Whether that assists in acquiring links is a matter of personal perspective.

There are tools that spam other Websites through activities such as automated blog comments, forum registrations, and directory submissions. Whether those links are worth acquiring is a matter of personal perspective.

I have never seen anyone claim, let alone PROVE that using these kinds of resources has established brand value for their Websites (or anyone else's). I have seen plenty of marketing hype, lies, unscientific presentations, and other easily disputable claims that just don't show that "free" tools are the answer to everyone's dreams of search engine success.

#7 ForumEngine

ForumEngine

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 04:46 PM

Hi Mike,

There are free tools that help people organize linking data. Whether that assists in acquiring links is a matter of personal perspective.

Yes, agreed. I'm not referring to that.

There are tools that spam other Websites through activities such as automated blog comments, forum registrations, and directory submissions.

Yes, agreed. I'm not referring to that.

Whether those links are worth acquiring is a matter of personal perspective.

Yes, agreed. My guess is that such links have some value, but I don't know what it is and doubt anybody else does either. I have no objection to a theory the value is low.

In any case, I have nothing nice to say about spam bots. There's the moral case of course, but even if we were to rationalize that away, those who think this way are victims of the wrong mindset.

I have never seen anyone claim, let alone PROVE that using these kinds of resources has established brand value for their Websites (or anyone else's).

Creating a brand seems a much bigger challenge than getting links. I don't know of any free tools that create well known brands.

I have seen plenty of marketing hype, lies, unscientific presentations, and other easily disputable claims that just don't show that "free" tools are the answer to everyone's dreams of search engine success.

Yes. The answer to everyone's dreams of search engine success is hard work applied consistently over time. I think we all agree on that.

And yes. There's a lot of crap on the net, no doubt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!