• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Backlink Data Not Making Sense-soliciting Opinions

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DJKay

DJKay

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 03:48 PM

Alright, here is what is happening, I have an intern, doing some basic link building/benchmarking activities across all the sites 30 plus sites]. I have been having him use Yahoo's Site Explorer. My bad I am sure, its an old friend, you know what I mean. Anyway, over the [May til now] time he has been here, pretty much all the sites seem to be dropping in terms of the quantity of back links pointing at the sites.

Full disclosure, there was no type of work done on these sites ever. The kid is doing basic directory submissions [for directories that still matter, nothing spammy] and submitting press releases on the articles that come out of our knowledge bases. The articles are posted on our site and we are not putting them out in any article repository sites.

Scold me if you need too..but I can't imagine we are doing anything that would cause us to drop links like that. It could be panda..but some of our sites have improved [in terms of organic search engine traffic] since Panda or seemed not to take a beating at all.

So my question is...even though they just announced that Site Explorer was going to be shut down, do you think its possible that they actually stopped updating the tool months earlier and just got around to announcing it? Any other feedback or advice, as always is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

DJKay

#2 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,145 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 04:05 PM

If you're using Yahoo! Site Explorer to discover linking resources, are you using Yahoo! Site Explorer to measure backlinks as well?

Given that Yahoo! will soon stop crawling the Web (or already may have), I would expect the Site Explorer database to degrade fairly quickly. People may be blocking Slurp in volume (I block it on all my sites now, I think).

#3 DJKay

DJKay

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 04:38 PM

"If you're using Yahoo! Site Explorer to discover linking resources, are you using Yahoo! Site Explorer to measure backlinks as well?"
Yes...

So that is probably it. Thanks.

#4 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,145 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 01:43 PM

To check backlink placement, you should search for the page where the link was placed in the search engine where you want the link credit. Look at the search engine's cache image of the page (if one is available).

For Google you can use INFO: or CACHE:. I have found that the cache: operator is not as reliable as using the info: operator and then clicking on the available cache link. I don't know why that is so but the cache data may not always be there in either case.

For Bing you have to actually use a Yahoo! search (this only works in some countries like the United States, Canada, and western Europe) and do a SITE: query, then click on the cache link.

Note that if the links use unique anchor text, you can use the INANCHOR: query operator on both Google and Bing to determine if the links are passing anchor text.

For most links, your best indicator of whether they are helping a Website is your non-search referral traffic data in your analytics. If you see traffic coming from those linking pages then they are at least driving traffic to the site. That *may* correlate with some other value.

Simply using a backlink report from a third-party tool doesn't tell you anything about which links have been indexed by a search engine or which indexed links are passing value.

That is as true of using Yahoo! to check Google backlinks as of any other search tool. Site Alpha knows absolutely nothing about what Site Beta is doing with the data available to it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!