• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Remember Clicktracks

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,547 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 06:33 AM

I may be alone in the world, but I still like ClickTracks. I don't use it on every site I work on, but I still use it on a few.

After nine years, I've finally bought myself a new PC, running Windows 7 Pro (64 bit). I figured I'd still be able to run ClickTracks in compatibility mode. What I didn't consider was that installing ClickTracks would cause a problem. I get most of the way through the installation process when I see the attached image.

Obviously, there's no support out there for the application. Does anyone know a way I can get this installation done? I don't even know which printer driver the error is referring to.

#2 cfreek

cfreek

AAAHHHH!!1one1!

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:18 AM

Two quick off the top of my head thoughts.

Have you tried running the installer in compatibility mode?

M$ has Virtual PC for running programs in XP mode, maybe that would be an option?
microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

#3 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,547 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 06:54 AM

Well, I tried numerous options for installing in compatibility mode, and I tried separately installing the PDF converter. So far, no luck sad.gif

#4 Mikl

Mikl

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 10:10 AM

Qwerty,

Cfreek mentioned installing Virtual PC. This is not the same as compatibility mode. With Virtual PC, you can run programs directly in an XP environment. I would at least give it a try, even in XP compatibility mode doesn't solve the problem.

Installing Virtual PC is a bit of a hassle. It might involve changing a BIOS setting. But that's a one-off job. Once it's done, you should be able to launch Click Tracks directly from the desktop.

#5 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,547 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 10:43 AM

Thanks. I'll look into it.

#6 Catz

Catz

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 12:45 PM

You are certainly not alone in the world on this!

It was a sad day when Lyris bought out ClickTracks and took it down. It was such an awesome, visual, simple to use and useful tool, nothing to date seems to perform on it's level since...at least in my opinion.

I have asked myself why they had to put their brand on the program rather than keeping it available as it was.

It would be so great if John Marshall could come out with something similar again. superman.gif

In the past, I was always singing it's praises in the forum, because it was such a great program...until they sold out and the "brains" at Lyris decided to replace it with their own program.

I wonder if he would have sold it if he had known what they were going to do to his brain child.

If they were smart, they would offer it up for sale again or make whatever modifications they need to for newer computers and sell it. Every link in the ClickTracks site makes it look like you can purchase it, then it take you to their Lyris HQ page...not at all what you want.

Hopefully you kept your old computer, and can use it when you need to use the program.

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,774 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 03:54 PM

When Google Analytics came out, ClickTracks days were numbered. They were lucky to be able to sell when they did, imo.

#8 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,547 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 07:36 PM

I like GA. I liked it when it was Urchin. But there's at least one thing ClickTracks can do (or could do... sad.gif ) that GA can't. In GA, if I want to study how some particular group of people interacted with the site, I can create a segment, and start tracking them from the point I created the segment on. In ClickTracks, I can create a segment and immediately get a report on its activity over the past year.

#9 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,774 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 08:16 AM

Pretty sure you can do that now with GA.

#10 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,547 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 10:39 AM

Really? That'd be pretty cool.

I'm actually making progress on getting CT running. Cfreek's advice about XP Mode via the Virtual Machine worked, and it's now installed. All I have to do now is fire up the old computer (which could be a challenge) and drop the license from the installation there, then attach the license to the new installation.

#11 Catz

Catz

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 03:20 PM

True, when someplace as well known as Google offers a free program, lots of other programs that charge for a similar service are going to be in trouble, no doubt about it. Even though I miss it, guess they did sell at the right time.

Urchin of the past was not nearly what Google Analytics has become, they really did improve upon it.

We don't mind working our way through the more technical info, working through the maze that is GA to get the right reports and info we need, but lots of clients and small business owners really enjoyed the visual aspects ClickTracks had to offer, right on the web pages themselves. And how quickly they could get in and out of it.

It could certainly be used along with GA for those who are more visual, wanting something simple and to the point, as Qwerty is planning to do.

It couldn't do what more detailed programs like Deep Metrix could, but it didn't have nearly the same number of problems either.

It may be a thing of the past now but it was pretty awesome for it's time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!