• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Non Authorized Domains Pointing To Our Site - Confused

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jonlivingston

jonlivingston

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 12:13 AM

Google Webmaster tools shows a number of domains that we do not own pointing to one of our client's domains (as in copying the site completely but under their domain). I'm a little confused on why they are doing this. How does this affect us from a SEO standpoint and what steps do we need to take? Any advice would be helpful.

On a side note when doing a Whois lookup for the domains they are based in China.

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,912 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 09:32 AM

Are they showing up in the SERPs instead of your site? If not, I wouldn't worry about it.

#3 smallweddings

smallweddings

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 09:05 PM

We just had this happen to us this weekend. We received an email from the owner of theirwebsite.org, theirwebsite.com, theiwebsite.net (at least they
said they were the owners) stating that for some unknown reason when they entered their url, our site was popping up.

I started to freak out a bit, but determined that their DNS A record at bighostingcompany.com points to my dedicated IP at anotherbighostingcompany.com.

A bit more investigation shows that the site's cache implies it was possibly ligit at one point, and they have a facebook presence...

I'm wondering if they were hacked.

We don't feel all that great about someone else's url showing up for our site...I have read that there is some coding that can be done to
re-direct these url's.

If Randy's about, maybe he could enlighten us on whether there are measures that can be taken to prevent this? I'd like to know why this
is being done.

The hosting we are using is experiencing a DDoS attack on a different server that my-site.com is hosted on. We have my-site.com
301 redirected to mysite.com and we're not having any issues with the site today, but the timing of this unusual new
url pointing to us via a DNS change on the other site's nameserver seems rather suspicious.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,912 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 08:17 AM

It sounds like their hosting company has made a dns snafu. They are the ones that can fix it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!