• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Keyword Optimization For Surrounding Areas?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 whorneff310

whorneff310

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 02:00 PM

Hi, I'm pretty new to this but have been reading a lot. The thing I can't figure out is how to determine how to find out what people in my geographical area are searching for.

For instance, it makes a big difference if people are searching for "mma training in new jersey" vs "mma training in bergen county nj"

In all the keyword search tools I can find that mma training is better than mma classes, but it doesn't add anything beyond that. I'm afraid that I am optimizing my site for the wrong thing. Can anyone shed some light on how to find this out?

Thanks a lot

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,882 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 10:43 AM

The keyword research tools, generally will show low volume for specific location keywords. Don't worry about that, you'll still want to be sure that you're using your location within your page content where it makes sense to do so.

Google knows these days where most people are searching from, so if people in your area are searching for your type of training services without using a location, they'll still likely get to your site.

#3 whorneff310

whorneff310

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 12:15 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Jul 20 2011, 11:43 AM) View Post
The keyword research tools, generally will show low volume for specific location keywords. Don't worry about that, you'll still want to be sure that you're using your location within your page content where it makes sense to do so.

Google knows these days where most people are searching from, so if people in your area are searching for your type of training services without using a location, they'll still likely get to your site.

Hi Jill, thanks for the help. So does that mean that it doesn't really matter if I optimize my site for "mma training in bergen county" vs "mma training in new jersey"? Because I'm first on the list for one and don't even appear on the other. What happens if most people are searching for the second?

Thanks so much

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,882 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 07:16 AM

New Jersey is obviously going to be more competitive than a county within it which means it will be harder to rank for and will take more effort.

#5 whorneff310

whorneff310

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 09:13 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Jul 22 2011, 08:16 AM) View Post
New Jersey is obviously going to be more competitive than a county within it which means it will be harder to rank for and will take more effort.

But there is no real way of knowing for instance if 70% of people are searching state wide instead of county right?

Thanks so much

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,882 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 09:40 AM

No. Not really. If the terms are too low volume that they don't show up in the kw research tools, you're kinda stuck.

Although, you might want to run an Adwords campaign. That can give you real world info.

#7 whorneff310

whorneff310

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 07:09 PM

Thanks Jill, much appreciated.

Wil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!