• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Combating Google’s Location Specific Searches.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Bojangles

Bojangles

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 01:55 AM

Hi,

We have a domain that I am currently setting up a Google ad campaign for but have some issues with targeting the audience. The domain is the name of a popular holiday destination in Victoria, Australia.
We have the .com and our only real competition has the same domain but with the .com.au (Australia specific). When I say competition it’s not quite like that as the sites will complement each other well as both have a different focus.

While the area is a worldwide tourist destination, the majority of travelers are from Australia. So I guess my main question is, as Google will favor .com.au sites while searching inside Australia, how should I go about combating that???

Currently I’m targeting Australia, should I set up a number of campaigns to target say Australia, then narrow that down to target the area it’s self and the nearest major city???
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike.

#2 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 12:22 PM

You can assign a region to your Website through Google Webmaster Tools, although if you are pursuing traffic outside Australia I don't think you want to do that.

You can include local Australian business addresses and point of interest references on the site itself to help Google see that the site is relevant to Australia. But you want to be careful not to seem TOO Aussie (I think).

You should probably use some Australian idiom in your copy but not throughout the site.

Probably the best approach is to write articles that are directed toward and appeal to Aussies in one area of your site and articles that are directed toward and appeal foreigners in another area (or areas) of your site.

You don't have to use .com.au to be deemed relevant to Australian search results but if you're going to appeal to an international audience you have to make sure that the site sends clear signals to the search engines for each region where you want to attract visitors.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!