• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Assessing The Value Of A Domain..

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DJKay

DJKay

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 09:39 AM

Hi,

We a fairly well developed domain that one of our customers may decide to no longer pay for the service associated with it because they are changing the brand. We own the domain name. The domain is 6 years old and has about 28K links pointing back at it. Its is or maybe be was, a major product brand for this company, so there could be a fair amount of traffic/links associated with it, brand equity in regards to parallel or similar class products, etc. It has a 1st position in the serps for its keyword phrase set. Its actually a user group for a certain technology.

I know there are a few of you out there who actually buy domains, grow them and sell them. So my question is, do you have any recommendation or formula for assessing the value of a domain?

The answer is probably no, but I will go and ask anyway...are there any web sites/companies that will evaluate domains and tell you what they think the open market value is? Does anyone know a reputable domain name appraisal service?

Thanks in advance. DJKay

Edited by DJKay, 07 July 2011 - 09:48 AM.

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,934 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:19 AM

Domains are worth one of two things. The reg/transfer fee or what some fool will pay for it!

For websites, when sold as a going concern should be valued like any other business, on their earnings, so approx 2.5x revenue plus assets as a ballpark figure

#3 DJKay

DJKay

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 07:47 PM

QUOTE(chrishirst @ Jul 7 2011, 11:19 AM) View Post
Domains are worth one of two things. The reg/transfer fee or what some fool will pay for it!
For websites, when sold as a going concern should be valued like any other business, on their earnings, so approx 2.5x revenue plus assets as a ballpark figure

Well, your way of doing it would certainly be on the high end. The site makes a good amount of revenue for us now but if the company paying for the service is changing the brand and part of their product which the site serves is being sunsetted...not sure if we can get that much. Other valuations are in the 11 to 16K range.

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it. Any other comments or input in regards to the question appreciated.

DJKay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!