• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Heading Tags

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 fine0023

fine0023

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 09:12 AM

All 200 or so pages on my site have the exact same <h1> tag, which is the name of my site. It just occurred to me that this might not be a very wise choice. It would be pretty easy to make the name of my site into an image instead of being a heading tag. Right now, the <h2> and <h3> tags are the ones that actually tell what each page is about (and are different on each page), and I could just make those the <h1> and <h2> tags if I got rid of the current <h1> tags. Any thoughts on this?

I'm already the first result that comes up when the search term is simply my website name, and I doubt removing the name of my site as a heading tag is going to change that (since it's a pretty unique phrase). I would guess that it is probably better to have the first text on each page be what the topic of the page is actually about (although, the navigation bar, which has text in it, would still come first). I guess that's a secondary question. If it's better to have your keywords closer to the top of the page or the first thing on the page, would it be better to have those heading tags that actually describe the page come before the navigation bar?

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,982 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 10:52 AM

Heading tags are for headlines (not SEO). So it doesn't really make sense for them to be the name of your site, but it's no big deal either.

#3 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,145 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 12:43 PM

QUOTE(fine0023 @ Jul 4 2011, 07:12 AM) View Post
All 200 or so pages on my site have the exact same <h1> tag, which is the name of my site. It just occurred to me that this might not be a very wise choice. It would be pretty easy to make the name of my site into an image instead of being a heading tag. Right now, the <h2> and <h3> tags are the ones that actually tell what each page is about (and are different on each page), and I could just make those the <h1> and <h2> tags if I got rid of the current <h1> tags. Any thoughts on this?

You should use them in the way that unsophisticated users expect. The page title really isn't for the user, though, as few people bother to look for it. There is no reason NOT to use the same text in your H1 as in your title. It DOES give you some repetition and emphasis but it's not like the search engines are going to split the list down the middle and say, "Well, all these are using the same text in the title and H1 and all those are using different text."

Do what you feel most comfortable with and don't worry about "doing stuff for SEO".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!