• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

New Site, New Domain - How To Launch

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 robynd

robynd

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 03:47 PM

Trying to figure out the best method:

Will be designing a completely new Wordpress site for a client who ranks very well in the SE's with a large, static, old site and 3 blogs. They will also be using a new domain and different server. I'm trying to figure out the best plan of action to keep their ranking:

1. develop new site on new server with new domain - making sure there is no duplicate content - let them have two different sites for a while - then eventually do a 301 redirect. I would guess my head tags don't have to match the old site and shouldn't since both sites will be live at the same time. then have .htaccess for each page name change and inform outside links of change.

2. develop new site on new server with new domain and 301 redirect immediately. would match head tags and use .htaccess to direct each page to new one. would also inform outside links of change.

Is one of these methods less damaging to serp than the other?

Thanks,

Robyn

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,707 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 04:09 PM

What exactly do the <head></head> tags have to do with it??

Just redirect from the outset, that way the real visitors will end up on the right pages.

#3 robynd

robynd

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 04:33 PM

QUOTE(chrishirst @ Jun 29 2011, 05:09 PM) View Post
What exactly do the <head></head> tags have to do with it??
Just redirect from the outset, that way the real visitors will end up on the right pages.

I've always read that I have to match the title and description tags exactly when changing domains / page names. At least for the transition on pages that I want to try keep ranking for - making for a smoother transition I suppose.

I'm leaning toward cutting the cord at launch too. Thx

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,707 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 05:23 AM

Ok, the title and meta description are document head elements not head tags which are <head> and </head>, yes it may seem pedantic but there is enough confusion, mis-understanding and mis-information in the search world already. So I try not to add to it by verifying exactly what the question is rather than assuming I know.

I've always read that I have to match the title and description tags exactly when changing domains / page names.
I'd sugest that you never read there again. smile.gif

Having the title element and the meta description element content match or contain the words or phrases that the page is targeting is good practice for optimising pages regardless of whether you are moving domains or not.

Reading the [url=http://www.highrankings.com/forum/index.php/topic/833-tips-for-new-seos/]Tips for Newbies[/url] could be beneficial at this stage as well.

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,877 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 07:52 AM

You definitely do not want both sitesbup at the same time. But there is a whole lot more you need to pay attention to than what is in your head tags. Please carefully read my SEO redesign + Jill Whalen articles for more info.

While you can build a new site and not lose any search engine traffic, you really have to know what you're doing to be sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!