• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Coping With Panda: Canonical Tag, Sitemaps And Keywords

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 fabrizio

fabrizio

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 05:59 PM

Hello,
I have a question about the canonical tag and its application on my website.

I own a sheet music commercial website, I am working trying to cope with the latest Google Panda update which has hit pretty heavily my website since June 14th, and found that actually I have some item pages that could be considered "soft-duplicates" or "shallow content" pages.

[URL removed]

As you can see, for each item we have 7 tabs:

INFO
PDF
Mp3
MIDI
SCORCH
VIDEO
ZIP

each one displaying different media for the same item. The way it has been so far, is that Google can spider any tab, but as you can see often tabs are not "yet" filled with information and they may look as "duplicated pages". That's why I have been probably penalized.

So, my first idea has been to put a "noindex,follow" meta tag for those "empty" tabs. But the fact is that even if the tabs include some content, often it is too little to differentiate well the different pages:

Removed

And I am afraid to still be penalized in some way.

So my further thought was: why don't use a canonical tag? That way I could retain link popularity for those tabs as well PR coming from external links linking to those tabs (much better than to use a "noindex,nofollow" even for empty tabs) and definitively getting rid of the duplicate content issue.

But if I am going to use the canonical tag, I am facing two issues:

1. What about those tab-pages already indexed on Google that are currently bringing me traffic? Will they disappear from the index and no longer bring me traffic?

2. What about my sitemaps that are currently telling Google to spider those tabs if they include some content? How to make sitempas "compatible" with a canonical tag definition?

Any ideas and thoughts about this issue are very welcome.

Thank you in advance to anyone can help me.

Sincerely,
Fab.

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,674 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 04:02 PM

It all depends on how the "tabs" are implemented, if the are implemented with CSS and javascript Google probably isn't aware of the "tabs" and simply "see's" the whole page.

#3 fabrizio

fabrizio

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 09:22 AM

QUOTE(chrishirst @ Jun 29 2011, 05:02 PM) View Post
It all depends on how the "tabs" are implemented, if the are implemented with CSS and javascript Google probably isn't aware of the "tabs" and simply "see's" the whole page.

Thank you for your reply.

They are not implemented in Javascript, they are hard coded in the html page.

Thanks.

Fab.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!