• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Kml/geo Coded Rss Feed For Events

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DJKay

DJKay

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 11:26 AM

Hi Gang,

Hope you are doing well, here we go:

We are a publishing company that does several conferences and events all over the world. We are in the process of redoing our event sites and one of the things I thought might be cool would be to have a Geo coded (using KML) rss feed that lists all our events at their various locations, i.e. Think, Organic Dogfood Convention October 15th through 17th, 2011 in Amsterdam, Gluten Free Dogfood Convention, December 12 through the 14th at Disney World in Orlando Florida, etc. in the rss

I read an article on search engine land (its what gave me the idea to do the above) Nifty Hard Core Local SEO Tactics that gave me the idea. I went and did some research on Google Places and I don't think I can load it there (it would need to be our corporate Google places account) because not all of them have unique phone numbers (i.e. we have people contacting us about the event we are hosting at XYZ resort, not the resort itself, although there maybe be a way to get it in the rss code)

We could just load it into the web master tools (WMT) account for the site. The reason I am interested in potentially doing this is that almost all of our attendees have mobile devices and it could potentially help us with mobile search.

So..any one out there played with this KML stuff? Anyone doing something similar, say maybe with store locations? Maybe someone is doing it through Google places or WMT and has some observations they would like to share...Suggestions, feedback, input are all welcome.

Thanks in advance.

DJKay

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,927 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 12:26 PM

I'm not real familiar with the KML feed, but from the article you referenced, it sounds like you have to have a physical presence in the various locations, not just be doing an event in various places. So I'm not sure if it's something for your particular circumstance. (But I could be wrong.)

#3 DJKay

DJKay

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 12:52 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Jun 17 2011, 01:26 PM) View Post
I'm not real familiar with the KML feed, but from the article you referenced, it sounds like you have to have a physical presence in the various locations, not just be doing an event in various places. So I'm not sure if it's something for your particular circumstance. (But I could be wrong.)

Yes, for the article I referenced, when it came to using Google Places, you do need to have a physical presence. It does not sound that you need to worry about that so much if its in WMT...

#4 DJKay

DJKay

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:18 AM

Hi Gang,

Just a post script, I have this in as a ticket and the Director of Development found this cool site for creating KML rss feeds...so I wanted to share:

http://www.geositema...rator.com/input

Its very cool.

DJKay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!