• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Google Local Verification Problem

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 kevs

kevs

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:30 PM

On my name search, a goofy place page is coming up instead of my real/ normal one.
I think this originates form a 5 year old Yellow pages ad I did.

anyway, I log in to nuke this, or suspend it as Google calls it.

They offer two forms of verification.

Phone, which is instant, and snail mail.

My correct phone number is listed in this bogus listing.

1) Yet they don't offer the phone verification for some reason on the verification page. only snail mail!

2) My street address is not listed on the bogus place page, just the city and state.

What should I do?

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,989 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 08:20 AM

Contact them, they'll know better than we would on what to do.

#3 kevs

kevs

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 12:31 PM

thanks, Jill, I think I found it inside my Google account, but it was a bit disconcerting to see the phone number not offered in the "are you the business owner" method.
I do have now a phone number for Adwords support, but not sure who I would call about anything else.

#4 ABAR

ABAR

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 10:16 PM

I just updated this. You are right about the verification error. I experienced the same thing.

I verified with the pin they gave me on the phone multiple times and all times it came up as invalid.

After I got frustrated I decided to do the regular mail verification; however, before the postcard with the directions and pin ever arrived, I got an email from Google saying "Thanks for updating your Google places information"

so... my only advise is to do the phone verification a few times and then push the button for the post card... that is what worked for me.

Don't ask me how tho. wink1.gif

Also, verify that the "goofy listing" that is coming up is not a Google Places page vice a Yellow Pages page. I say this because if it is a Google Places page then you simply add the URL to your website into the Google Places listing and it will automatically direct users to your website when they click the link in the search engines.

That is what I did for my website and it is like a bonus listing in the top 10.

I get one for Google Places and one for the regular top 10 listing.

#5 kevs

kevs

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 10:51 PM

A,
my place was gone, and replaced with a new name a new photo. very bizarre. I would like to confirm by phone but it's only offering the mail confirmation.

#6 Lorelle

Lorelle

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 03:51 PM

QUOTE(kevs @ Jun 10 2011, 08:51 PM) View Post
A,
my place was gone, and replaced with a new name a new photo. very bizarre. I would like to confirm by phone but it's only offering the mail confirmation.

I had to deal with this situation for a client. The address was partially incorrect, but apparently it had been published that way in the Yellow Pages. When I tried to update it, Google no longer offered the verify-by-phone option. It was because I had changed the building number. You cannot make ANY changes before claiming the listing.

The client was traveling for months and couldn't get their staff to remember to check for the postcard since it was 2 weeks away from coming. They have a phone system with a menu, and Google can't push the necessary button to leave a message with the PIN.

The only way it finally got resolved was for the client to turn off the phone system and wait for the Google call.

#7 kevs

kevs

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 12:46 PM

L, thanks I understood some of that.
But you said you did not get offered the phone verification, but then said Google made the call??

#8 Lorelle

Lorelle

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 09:58 PM

When I tried to make any changes whatsoever to the address, the option to verify by phone went away. Once the original address was restored during the submission, it worked the way it's supposed to. (The address change I wanted was simply to move the building number to after the address instead of preceding it, but Google won't allow you to change *anything* during the verification process.)

#9 kevs

kevs

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 11:38 AM

so you are saying you need to wait out that first mailing to you. It takes three weeks to get card? correct?

And then it takes another 3 weeks or so for changes to appear online!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!