• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Facebook, Twitter & Linked Sign In Incorporated Into Your Site Or

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DJKay

DJKay

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 04:14 PM

Hi Folks,

I am not a developer but I have been looking over the various APIs for Facebook, Linkedin and Twitter.

I have seen lots of sites use this type of mechanism for sign up and sign in types of activities. In most of the cases, you get access to some sort of cherished "id" and the usual suspects type of data..name, email address, etc.

I am trying to ascertain what other value can be drawn from it other than convenience, i.e. can we program it so they are immediate followers of our twitter page, facebook page, linkedin group, etc.?

I have posted out on their forums but the people on them are developers/it people and not probably in the position to answer this type of question more fully. I have not had anyone reply back to me...so I am putting it out here....

Has anyone does this? How did you use the API and what has been the value that your adding to your customer/prospect? Put simply, What's in it for them (other than convenience) and what's in for you (the business owner)?

Thanks in advance.

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,885 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 08:24 AM

I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about, it I think perhaps you mean when sites that need you to register for something, or to register to comment, allow you to use your Facebook or Twitter login to do so.

Is that what you're asking?

If so, the benefit is that people already have a registration with those services so it's very easy for them to then comment on your site or register at your community or whatever it might be.

The benefit for the community manager is that more people may register since it's so easy and they're not making you fill out yet another form and remember yet another user name and password.

#3 DJKay

DJKay

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 09:24 AM

Hi Jill,

Thanks for taking the time to post back. Yes, that is what I am asking about. For example, in Linkedin's developer documentation...http://developer.linkedin.com/docs/DOC-1225#cf, it states:

"The most important piece of data for you to capture and store is the LinkedIn member id. This is an application-specific unique identifier for every member. With this token, you can easily retrieve profile information about any of your users who have authenticated using Sign In with LinkedIn." Further on it says..[i]"After the member has signed in, you have access to their member id and basic profile information. " I am assuming basic profile information includes the usual suspects, Name, email address, etc. but its not specified. A little farther down it says..."More importantly, you've added a hidden variable, linkedin-in, to pass the member id. This is the value you should store to identify the person in future page requests." I understand about the hidden variable to app the member id.

I am trying to wrap my head around this to understand if we can do anything more with this capability. I have a few obstacles in regards to dealing with the sequencing of qual forms for our controlled circulation and subscribing to our online knowledge bases, etc. but we could figure that out...probably..

So when I see future page requests, I think, maybe doing an email campaign where having this member id to pass could drive them to a linkedin group to get a promotion code. Or once we have the id, immediately signing them up for our Linkedin group...but I don't see how we could do that here.

Sure, I get the convenience for the prospect/customer, I stated that in my original post...but in order for me to get it through; i.e get buy-in from the product directors to get IT support, I have to build a business case..and sorry to say, I am in an environment where I have to come up with more than just convenience. There needs to be a few more benefits for our prospects & customers and us as a company.

I do see that other companies have created, say Badges, or special widgets...any other benefits, ideas..comments...are very much appreciated. Thanks,

DJKay

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,885 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 11:17 AM

Never used any of it, so I'm just guessing, but I would assume it's a way for you to gain more insight into the demographics of your users that you might otherwise not get. If that's important to your company, it might be worth a try.

#5 JackDaniels

JackDaniels

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 10:16 AM

hello people, try this link developers.facebook.com/docs/, there is a facebook documentation

Edited by chrishirst, 10 December 2011 - 12:33 PM.
live link removed

#6 DJKay

DJKay

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:34 AM

QUOTE(JackDaniels @ Dec 10 2011, 12:16 PM) View Post
hello people, try this link developers.facebook.com/docs/, there is a facebook documentation

I forgot I posted this..at any rate..I was just at a really great SEMNE meeting with Michael King doing the presentation and he gave me the answer. Check out the doc on the SEMNE.org site.

He goes into how you can get keyword level data ported into GA using Facebook and Linkedin. Its very very very cool. It has given me the fire power to make the business case. http://ipullrank.com...d-demographics/ He was also able to pull in things like their birth date [if they gave it], where they went to school, etc.

I would encourage you to check this out...DJKay

#7 OrdAllenbea

OrdAllenbea

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:10 PM

I personally have declined to use the social media logins for my sites. One reason is because I built a facebook app into my article marketing tools membership and facebook changed their coding. The app had to be updated to work again so I updated it but then only a few months later they updated again and I decided to drop it.

Through the course of 1 year they changed their coding and the way apps work at least 6 times I know of. This is far too much work to keep up on. Although my app has nothing to do with logins, I decided to not use any type of login for my sites for this reason.

Something else to think about is what happens if and when one of these sites should go out of business. I know it seems like it will never happen but look at myspace for example, they was once very popular but have died in the last few years. What you need to think of is how would this damage your membership if members was signed in through facebook and then facebook is no longer there.

In the 25+ years I have been online I have learned many things but one important thing I have learned is to never depend your business upon any 3rd party.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!