• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Articles + Link

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 ykyant

ykyant

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 07:17 AM

Hello All,

I have written up an article and preparing to publish on a article submission website then give a back link point to my site.

I am also thinking to post the same article to my website, AND other article submission websites as well.

Is it wise to do this, and will there be any positive/negative effect on my ranking in Google?

Thanks
ykyant

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,983 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 08:14 AM

Is it wise to do this, and will there be any positive/negative effect on my ranking in Google

No and no.

#3 ykyant

ykyant

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 08:34 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Jun 8 2011, 09:14 AM) View Post
No and no.

Thanks Jill.

So are you suggesting that I should only submit one article to an article directory? Thats no duplicate content at all?

Thanks in advance

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,033 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 09:57 AM

I'd say

No No/possibly yes

So are you suggesting that I should only submit one article to an article directory?

As i'm not Jill but the answer is likely to be.

No, don't bother with ANY "article directory" at all

#5 ykyant

ykyant

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 10:26 AM

QUOTE(chrishirst @ Jun 8 2011, 10:57 AM) View Post
I'd say

No No/possibly yes
As i'm not Jill but the answer is likely to be.
No, don't bother with ANY "article directory" at all

How about blogger.com ?

I am really lost on link building program now...

I do agree and a big supporter of organic SEO, and I do say my website content out perform many competitors, but they did a excellent job in backlinks (6xx VS. 1x).

Although I knew Google might not count some of my competitor links, I do feel I need to get improvement on link building.

Any suggestion?

Thanks
ykyant

#6 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,145 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 12:22 PM

The fastest, easiest way to get natural links from other sites is to write about other sites on your site.

If you're running an ecommerce site, you can write "Thank you" posts for bloggers who review your products or service. You can also write "case study" articles that show how other people talk about your products or service. You can also share insights into how your business operates, mentioning other Websites that carry good information (these can be government sites and academic institutional sites) that is relevant to how you manage your business. You can interview customers, conduct surveys and share the results, compile purchase statistics and discuss them, etc.

If you're running a consultancy, you can blog about the current issues in your industry, interview people who have had an impact on your industry, publish case studies that show how you achieved success for clients, write reviews of Websites that are prominent in your industry, introduce your readers to new/up-and-coming Websites that are relevant, etc.

If you're running a news site, you want to be sure to apply for inclusion in all the major news indexes (Bing, Google, and Yahoo!). You want to publish as many stories as you can. You want to link to the official Websites of the companies and organizations and celebrities about whom you write.

On all types of sites, you want to encourage your visitors to share your articles through social media.

No matter what your business model, no matter what your industry, you CAN write interesting articles on your own site that discuss what other people are doing, sharing, or discussing on the Web. Those articles can and should link out to other Websites. Some of those Websites will link back to you. The more you do this, the more links you will obtain.

If you're going to invest time in writing articles, then write articles for yourself and your visitors.

Be sure to publish an RSS feed (with excerpts/summaries only -- not full article text). Be sure your RSS feed pings major services like Ping-O-Matic.

Don't hold yourself to the standard of "I'm not a professional writer". Hold yourself to the standard of "If I publish 5 interesting articles a week, by the end of the year I should have 250 interesting articles on my Website."

What makes an article interesting is how much passion you have for the topic.

#7 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,033 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 03:27 PM

"Blogger.com" is a publishing service NOT an "article" dumping website and YOU are in control of your little piece of blogger AND the adverts that get shown on YOUR work which YOU could get paid for.

Once you give away your work to "article banks" you have lost control of where it gets use and how it gets used, and the owner/operator of the "article" dump gets to show adverts with their publisher ID.

#8 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,983 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 10:48 PM

But Michael, all that is hard work. Isn't there an easy solution? whistling.gif

#9 ykyant

ykyant

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 04:43 AM

Thanks Jill, Michael, and Chris,

I think I will put all my articles on my site, and may write some more, eg 250 words, and post it on Blog then point back to my site.

Other interesting question, I have discovered one of my competitor opened another website, let us called website "B", and post all the articles into that website B, and backlinks to my competitor website.

What is the good and bad of this approach? Obvious they have total control over the website "B", but should it count as spam by google?

Thanks
ykyant

#10 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,983 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 07:07 AM

What is the good and bad of this approach? Obvious they have total control over the website "B", but should it count as spam by google?

It's neither good nor bad as far as SEO goes. And no, Google won't think it's spam.

#11 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,033 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 06:26 PM

When they have a thousand sites maybe.

Not many of you would ever make successful spammer, you all think far too small. biggrin.gif

10 or 15 websites that crosslink in the grand scheme of things is not likely to raise a blip, 100 might be looking a little dubious, 1000+ will be heading for spam territory

#12 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • 5,145 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 06:36 PM

Of course, one low value site linking to another low value site won't provide much return on investment.

#13 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,033 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 06:52 PM

Yep, I had a similar "conversation" with about 10,000 "profile pages" or the site where only the username changed on the page.

"But won't i lose the "link value" of those pages", do they think that "link value" magicically appears just by being indexed?

#14 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • 5,145 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:51 PM

QUOTE(chrishirst @ Jun 9 2011, 04:52 PM) View Post
Yep, I had a similar "conversation" with about 10,000 "profile pages" or the site where only the username changed on the page.

"But won't i lose the "link value" of those pages", do they think that "link value" magicically appears just by being indexed?

The people who have been depending on forum profiles had to develop some pretty convoluted link schemes to create any sort of temporary value in those profile pages -- but now they all seem to agree that the profile pages don't work any more. I certainly hope Google keeps it that way.

#15 PatrickGer

PatrickGer

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 09:52 PM

Has the importance of links for rankings in the search engines, especially Google decreased? I did read a comment about a "new focus on social" somewhere... any truth to that (if social media signals are more important links should be less important, right..)?

(have been focussed on nothing but college and link building, so am not up to date on algorithm updates...though I tried to dig into panda and local, and will do so in the near future when I have time)

PS: not responsible for anyone's SEO (and SEO associated risk!), so my not being up to date on this isnt a major problem for anyone!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!