• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Easier Way To 301 Indexed Pages, Scrape Indexed Url's And Redirect

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 SERPico

SERPico

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 03:49 PM

How can I redirect thepages indexed by Google, which are 99% obsolete for a project I work on to the home page? There are quite a bit of url's indexed, and mapping them out one by one is quite a pain. Is there a way to collect the indexed url's and 301 redirect them to the home page in a more automated fashion? Thanks! P.S. - The post editor box does not show a cursor and you can't remove text. This post is copied and pasted from Notepad. Easier Way To 301 Indexed Pages, Scrape Indexed URL's and Redirect to Home Page?

#2 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 04:43 PM

In an .htaccess file (I don't know if this is possible on an IIS system) you can use the "RedirectMatch" directive. This works much like the traditional Redirect but it uses expression matching. However, it can be a two-edged sword.

I recently took down all the content from www . xenite . org and only this weekend put up a Wordpress installation. I found that I was having problems with the Wordpress and after reinstalling everything 2-3 times it finally occurred to me to look at the redirect matches. I had two old directories (both of which had been blocked to spiders anyway) which matched PORTIONS of Wordpress script/image URLs. Once I commented out those two RedirectMatch statements, everything seemed to work well.

So, as an example, you can use:

redirect 301 /keyword http : // www . example . com /

That will redirect ONLY a specific URL.

You can use:

redirect 301 /keyword/* http : // www . example . com /

That will redirect EVERY page within /keyword/ (a folder) to the new Website, but each page will have its own URL on the new site.

You can use:

redirectmatch 301 /keyword http : // www . example . com /

In this example, any URL that contains the "keyword" will be redirected explicitly to the root URL of the new domain.

You cannot redirectmatch pages to your own root (at least, it did not work for me). Maybe with the right expression you could do that but I'm not very good at devising those cryptic patterns.

Edited by Michael Martinez, 06 June 2011 - 06:50 PM.

#3 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,103 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 05:28 PM

In an .htaccess file (I don't know if this is possible on an IIS system)
It isn't

http://www.highranki...mp;#entry242355

#4 Tiggerito

Tiggerito

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 08:54 PM

It is possible on IIS. It depends on what version, which language and sometimes you need server settings changed. Are you using IIS?

If you want to quickly create a .htaccess file for all your URLs then you can use the tool in my signature. All you need to do is create your list in something like excel then copy it into the tool. It does a one to one mapping of URLs so should be safe from the issue Michael pointed out.

#5 SERPico

SERPico

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 07:57 AM

Thanks guys! - would it be possible to redirec all pages endign with .asp even though some of them also have parameters attached to it?

For example: .asp?parameter=382828&stuff

#6 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,103 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 08:31 AM

QUOTE(SERPico @ Jun 7 2011, 01:57 PM) View Post
Thanks guys! - would it be possible to redirec all pages endign with .asp even though some of them also have parameters attached to it?

For example: .asp?parameter=382828&stuff

Yes.

#7 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 01:01 PM

This is dangerous stuff. Make sure you back up whatever configuration files you change before attempting it.

#8 SERPico

SERPico

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 02:59 PM

QUOTE(chrishirst @ Jun 7 2011, 03:31 PM) View Post
Yes.

You don't happened to know how to do this? smile.gif

This is dangerous stuff. Make sure you back up whatever configuration files you change before attempting it.
Thanks for the heads up Michael. By the way Jill, forum post editor still appears to be broken.

#9 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,004 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 03:34 PM

Thanks for the heads up Michael. By the way Jill, forum post editor still appears to be broken.

Works for me, so I don't know what to tell you. Likely a browser or cacheing issue on your end, I think.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!