• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Optimization For Small (under 10 Page) Websites

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 ABAR

ABAR

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 08:36 PM

Hi,

I used to talk on this Forum a few years back but went on a hiatus. Well, I am back.

I am helping my parents design a website for their business and I want to try to get it optimized in the search engines also.

[website removed]

Only, the website is only 7 pages or so and I don't know how to make such a small site relevant in the search engines.

please help mighty SEO gurus

notworthy.gif

#2 Catz

Catz

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 12:42 AM

A small site can be just as relevant in the search engines as a large one.

Just look at each web page as a potential way for visitors to find your business. Since you have a local business, having the address in your pages will be beneficial and be sure you give each page a unique title that relates to your page content. Not just the company name but something useful that would make users click your link when they see your pages show up in the SE's.

Optimizing the pages in a smaller site is basically the same as in a large site, maybe even easier.

Just think through the process...if you were a customer searching for a company like yours, what would you search for? Be sure to include those terms in your web pages in a natural way, and you're off to a good start.

Of course there is a lot more you can do but the main point is that even though your site is not huge, you can show up in visitor searches just the same.

#3 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 01:07 AM

If you want some numbers to reassure you, I provided some examples for people in Google's Webmaster Forums.

Size of Website really doesn't matter. It's what you do with the content on the site. In a highly linked keyword set you want to attract as many links as possible. You'll do that with a truly interesting site. Most queries do NOT require that many links.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,877 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 08:58 AM

Please follow the rules for a website review in the website review forum. (I've removed your website from the thread). I'm leaving the thread open so that people can still comment on optimizing a small site.

In general, there's really no difference between optimizing a small site or a large one, other than it being easier since there are only a few pages to deal with.

#5 Catz

Catz

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 01:09 PM

Most queries do NOT require that many links.

It is so good to finally hear someone say this. People get so caught up in getting lots of links into their pages, thinking that is what SEO is all about...they lose focus on the actual aspects of website optimization that are most important.

In general, there's really no difference between optimizing a small site or a large one, other than it being easier since there are only a few pages to deal with.

No doubt about it, since you only have a few pages to focus on, you can give each your full attention.

Unlike those with a large site where your time is spent focusing on the databases that populate the site rather than the actual web pages visitors will see, you only have a few pages to work with, so you can give each more attention than the large site owner is able to.

#6 ABAR

ABAR

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:55 PM

That is encouraging. I like how you said not every search term requires a ton of backlinks.

But, how do you handle very competitive terms? The site is a business so there are other business out there trying to gobble up the terms. Is adwords the solution?

The business is somewhat unique as it is a on-site comercial fleet maintenance and repair company. It's niche is that is more convenient than truck fleet owners taking their trucks to mechanics when their trucks break, as this cost fleet managers additional headaches and money in driver down time.

This small company is family owned and operated so customers are more than a dollar sign that is swallowed up by huge impersonal corporations. Rather, our nich is that Abar On-Site Fleet Services treats every customer with the respect and attention they deserve, whether they be a small or large company.

I think I did a good job conveying this information the website. But other than that, I don't know how to optimize that for specific search terms.

Thoughts?

#7 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 08:32 PM

"Competitive query" doesn't really describe the most active SERPs today the way it did, say, five years ago. Some highly competitive queries include a lot of fresh news -- say queries relating to celebrities, sports, political events, etc. Some highly competitive queries are very localized, showing Google Places listings (or Bing Local listings). Some highly competitive queries have been modified by search engine data (price comparison searches for travel, local weather conditions, and more).

And some competitive queries still look like a lot of Websites vying for traditional 1-10 positions. But even in this latter category there may be image injections, video injections, book injections, etc. that all compete with the 1..10 traditional listings.

And then there are the competitive queries that are more likely to be dominated by major company Websites (the so-called "Brand Bias" people talk about by many names) and yet other competitive queries may be more likely dominated by a variety of non-brand sites.

The optimization strategies for each of these types of queries call for different actions. All of them require some production of content and some acquisition of links but the mix is not that simple any more.

There are factors to consider such as timeliness, visual impact, location, availability of specialty directory listings (like product listings, business listings, etc.). You can't just point a bunch of links at an article any more.

You have to set some goals and learn what requirements are involved for being included in the type of SERPs where you want to compete. From there you choose your keywords, produce your content, acquire some links, measure the results, and make adjustments.

The starting strategy depends on the type of SERP. You have to look at what is already appearing in results for the kinds of queries you want to rank in.

#8 ABAR

ABAR

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:35 PM

Good run down. I didn't know that there was so much involved.

One of the main things you mentioned was that at the core of being listed in the traditional 1-10 Google/Yahoo/Bing listings, you have to have targeted keywords, rich content, and backlinks.

I think I have targeted keywords already.

Truck Fleet Maintenance
Truck Fleet Service
On-Site Fleet Service
Fleet Repair
and so forth...

I have these words in the Meta tags, and the site content.

However, this is the tricky part.

How do I get people to link to my site? It seems that the people interested in my site are potential customers but they usually don't have website... and if they did they sure wouldn't link to my site because the admired it.

It is not like other types of sites that have valuable articals or information that other websites like to cite or share. It is a small company.

How do I generate backlinks for this type of site?

#9 Catz

Catz

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:35 PM

From the article:
I would like everyone reading this discussion to understand (and ACCEPT) that I will NOT be baited into providing "proof" every time someone wants to disagree with me in the future. I offered to do this in this discussion and that's as far as it goes.

People are free to disagree with me, disbelieve me all they wish. My life won't end if I say something that doesn't cause the winds to change direction.

I love that! goodjob.gif

People need to do some experimentation of their own and see what happens. That's a great way to learn!

#10 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 03:59 AM

QUOTE(ABAR @ Jun 6 2011, 07:35 PM) View Post
How do I get people to link to my site? It seems that the people interested in my site are potential customers but they usually don't have website... and if they did they sure wouldn't link to my site because the admired it.

It is not like other types of sites that have valuable articals or information that other websites like to cite or share. It is a small company.

How do I generate backlinks for this type of site?

Your options are limited but it's not an impossible task.

I'm not sure Jill wants people recommending specific, detailed SEO strategies in her forum. In fact, I would advise against adopting any freely offered detailed advice on a forum no matter who it comes from.

If you want to make an investment in search engine optimization to build your business you need (in my opinion) to find a professional service provider whom you feel comfortable working with. Someone needs to learn your market and work with you to develop a long-term strategy. (NOTE: I am an in-house SEO and so not taking on clients, hence that was NOT an attempt to troll for business.)

#11 ABAR

ABAR

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 07:08 PM

I am a little web savy and am hoping to learn a lot about SEO on this Forum.

In the past I have paid companies to perform website related work... and was left disapointed.

I find that other people, especially people out to make a profit, don't give your site the personal touch that you would yourself. (I am sure there are some good companies out there, but I have been burned in the past and want no part of it).

I was doing some research and found some directories that I can submit my website to.

DMOZ and another directory that has Florida based businesses. Is it a good idea to search the internet for as many of these directories as possible and add my website to them?

#12 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,708 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 06:46 AM

You could do that, if you want to, but don't expect any results other than a lot more spam.

#13 ABAR

ABAR

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 06:33 PM

QUOTE(chrishirst @ Jun 8 2011, 07:46 AM) View Post
You could do that, if you want to, but don't expect any results other than a lot more spam.

so how do you get backlinks in the begining? do you have to buy them?

#14 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:49 PM

Since you're building a site for your parents, you could link to it from your own site(s).

Most businesses don't need that many backlinks. But you can leverage social media to create visibility for a new site so that other people with existing sites learn about the new site and link to it.

#15 ABAR

ABAR

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 10:12 PM

QUOTE(Michael Martinez @ Jun 9 2011, 11:49 PM) View Post
Since you're building a site for your parents, you could link to it from your own site(s).

Most businesses don't need that many backlinks. But you can leverage social media to create visibility for a new site so that other people with existing sites learn about the new site and link to it.

Why does a business not need very many backlinks?

Question:

If my parent's site is about on site fleet repair. Is it a good idea to mine truck fleet related articles and news and post part of those articles on my parents site?

I think visitors to my parents site would be interested in this information "industry news" and also it will give my small (under 10 page) website some more ammunition to come up in the search engines at it will have articles.

Will this help me in the search engines?

Also, as far as copyright goes. If I copy only a portion of the article and provide a link to the website where the reader can find the full article is this copyright infringement?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!