• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Publishing All At Once Or Little By Little

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 tyggis

tyggis

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 01:28 AM

A client of me have a webshop and are ready to list 500 new products. She asks if it is smart SEO to publish a few every day or all 500 at once. What do you think?

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 06:43 AM

Presumably she wants to start selling the products right away, correct? So there's your answer.

#3 rolf

rolf

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 09:35 AM

I Would say publish all at once.

You can never be certain where the best results will come from (both in terms of search traffic and in terms of conversion), you may have a fair hunch but there are no certainties. Sods law could easily come into play and all of the gold be buried in the last half of the data, so your friend could struggle for traffic/sales to start with, which could have many knock-on effects including lessening the impact of the gold once it does come online.

In an ideal world you could spread the gold, or load it all into the front, in which case it may be better to spread things out and keep the momentum, but it's not an ideal world and data tends to stick together in random unguessable clumps, so IMHO going for the biggest push at the beginning is a safer strategy.

#4 Tiggerito

Tiggerito

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:37 AM

I like this question,

I like to stagger anything I output, but it's based more on gut feeling than fact.

Tweeting in rapid succession does not seem right, nore does a torrance of Facebook posts.

If your website is linked to an rss feed then 100 new pages would be put them all in the face of your readers, and annoy them.

Or if you have any other form of syndicating your content, it could be bad.

If you don't understand anything I said, then you don't have to worry, just publish!

#5 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:47 PM

If it's an ecommerce site, there is no reason to withhold publication of product listings as long as they are unique and the products are available.

#6 tyggis

tyggis

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 05:12 PM

Jill, its not a question if she want to sell right away. I ask if it is any advantage related to SEO (Google). I mean, before it was wise to spread the publishing at least over a few days. maybe Google are smarter now.

QUOTE(Tiggerito @ May 31 2011, 11:37 AM) View Post
If you don't understand anything I said, then you don't have to worry, just publish!

I understand haha. Yes, a tweet and is made for each product and a facebook post to I suppose.

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:45 PM

Whats good for the business is fine for google. Why would they care?

I mean, before it was wise to spread the publishing at least over a few days. maybe Google are smarter now.

Before what and according to whom?

#8 Catz

Catz

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 11:34 PM

Tweeting in rapid succession does not seem right, nore does a torrance of Facebook posts.

That has nothing to do with SEO, so don't worry about that keeping you from posting your products all at once on your website.

If you want to start selling the products, the sooner you get them online, the sooner you can begin taking orders.

The search engine spiders will work their way through your pages, finding them one by one, but you want to make sure they are all out there available to be found once they are ready to go live. Think how long it would take to get your products out there if you were just adding a few a day.

#9 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 04:37 AM

Before what and according to whom?

Probably another "half heard" and "half understood" misquote from Matt Cutts.

#10 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 07:58 AM

Yes. Matt said millions. Not 500.

#11 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 11:35 AM

That video is ancient, possibly from 2006 or thereabouts. I don't know how relevant it is to today's Google.

#12 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 02:29 PM

QUOTE(Michael Martinez @ Jun 1 2011, 05:35 PM) View Post
That video is ancient, possibly from 2006 or thereabouts. I don't know how relevant it is to today's Google.

Yeah, certainly. But that's practically yesterday to the "experts" who still think it's 1999, and dole out "the latest advice" from that era.

#13 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 03:30 PM

I believe Matt has said something similar very recently. In fact, it may have been in last week's live video Q&A that he did.

But again, he said millions, not hundreds or even thousands.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.