• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Uk Cookie Law

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 scouseflip

scouseflip

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 03:10 AM

Hi All

Interested to know if anyone has made any changes relating to the new cookie law in the UK - i.e. that websites must gain explicit consent of their users re the recording or retrieval of data on their terminals prior to this occurring.

Although our site does not use cookies directly, we have GOAN installed on all our sites and this obviously makes heavy use of cookies. Anyone know where we stand with this?

Thanks

#2 Peter Matejka

Peter Matejka

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 06:51 AM

From what I understand noone really knows how it will effect GOAN, not even google made final statement to this. So for now (at least in UK) there should be one year "implementation time", until they start to actually check if sites did implement this policy.

Personally I hope that in one year it will be enough to say that "browsers take care of it", since FF and IE9 already implement this kind of cookie setting in options. And there will probably be some workarounds til then for users of other browsers.

#3 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 09:03 AM

Just for the record, this isn't a "UK cookie law". It's an EU-wide initiative. Other member states are being more vigorous than the UK in implementing the relevant EU directive.

In the UK, the Information Commissioner has said that he recognises the difficulties associated with third-party cookies, and has not yet arrived at a definitive solution. That is one of the main reasons that the industry is being given twelve months to comply.

#4 scouseflip

scouseflip

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 04:23 AM

Thanks for the info folks!

#5 Mooro

Mooro

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 07:28 AM

I'm not gonna worry about it, it is a stupid law and they're starting to wake up to how stupid and hard it would be to enforce so they're put the date back a year I think I heard on the news the other day.

I'll worry about it when the ICO get on my case about it, till then, nar it's a farce and I ain't stressing over it.

#6 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,939 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 11:41 AM

Just the usual dogs breakfast of a EU regulation that proves they know next to nothing about Internet tecnologies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!