• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Panda Causes 50% Drop In Traffic

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 WaldenPond

WaldenPond

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 01:13 PM

I have a silly question, we keep hearing about a new Google algo causes a huge drop in traffic. Well traffic is a zero sum game. So who are the ones that get the missing 50% of traffic

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 10:04 PM

The sites with stuff users actually want to see.

#3 CredoInvictus

CredoInvictus

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 09:29 AM

QUOTE(WaldenPond @ May 21 2011, 01:13 PM) View Post
... So who are the ones that get the missing 50% of traffic

My traffic went up about 30% and I was happy... until some cruel person implied that if people actually wanted to view my content, it should have gone up 50%. girl_cray2.gif

#4 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,127 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 01:10 PM

In many of the queries I use for myself. I have seen an increase in government Websites, institutional Websites, and blogs with unique, well-written articles. I mostly search on technical, scientific topics. There used to be a lot of scraped content in these types of queries, forcing me to dig deeper into the search results pages or to reconstruct my queries. I find myself doing much less extra clicking and query modifying since Panda 1.

However, in many highly commercial queries, about all that happened was one set of aggregators was replaced by another set of aggregators. In some keywords a lot of brand sites moved up to replace the aggregators and affiliates.

I think it varies by topic type because repurposed content and schmucky marketers tend to focus on certain types of keywords. There doesn't seem to be much incentive for flooding "number theory" and "math news" with AdSense.

#5 OldWelshGuy

OldWelshGuy

Work is Fun

• 4,713 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:48 PM

As Jill says, the sites that Google feel deserve the traffic. Afactor in this was perceived over monetisation, and it isn't the first time Google have done this, so I am amazed that so many got caught.

This time though quite a few babies (more than usual) went out with the bathwater

#6 CredoInvictus

CredoInvictus

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 09:54 PM

QUOTE(Michael Martinez @ May 23 2011, 01:10 PM) View Post
... There used to be a lot of scraped content in these types of queries... There doesn't seem to be much incentive for flooding "number theory" and "math news" with AdSense.

The "Made for AdSense" sites which aggregate scraped content, just to bring viewers to AdSense ads, are a real nuisance in search results. Pushing sites carrying AdSense ads to the bottom of serps would help make search results more helpful. However, Google might be reluctant to do this. Just off the top of my head, I wonder if this is why many people are saying that Bing gives better search results. I cannot really say myself, because I am now browsing with Firefox and an ad-blocker, so I now cannot see which sites are trying to show me AdSense ads!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!