• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Large Website Redesign - Need Help Updating Seo

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 chrisFWD

chrisFWD

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 07:20 AM

I'm currently redesigning a large website that is a highly used information source and has a decent amount of backlinks to it from other sites. I need to compile a list of the websites that are linking to current subpages in the site and what pages they're linking to. I know backlinking was covered in other threads but nothing in there answered my question. basically I need a tool that shows me the url of the link origination (so we can contact those sites to upgrade their links) and the target url in the website I'm re-designing. I also want to be able to filter out any that just point to the home page since they wont need to be updated. I know google developer tools/analytics and yahoo show this information but there's no way to view a list of all link origination urls and target urls together from what I can see. You have to keep clicking on originating urls to see where they link to. Does anyone know of a tool that does this? Or if anyone knows a better practice of updating backlinks for an old site to a new site, that would be of help too. thanks!

Chris>FWD

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,840 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 08:31 AM

Check your site logs for any referrers that actually send traffic they are the ones that are actually useful.

The rest will have to be handled by redirects.

#3 chrisFWD

chrisFWD

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 01:56 PM

Thanks chrishirst.
What I ended up doing is using google analytics to come up with a list of referring sites and their landing pages. I then went through the list and removed any that went to the home page since I dont need to mess with them. then, with the remaining, I'm just adding those landing pages in my .htaccess file and have them 301 redirect to the new pages (if there is one) or to the home page of the new site. I also created a custom 404 page and added google analytics code to it to track any instances of pages being linked to that I missed and their referring pages. I think that should cover everything. It wasn't the quick solution I was looking for but it works. Good thing my list ended up not being too long after removing all the links to the home page.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,928 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 02:16 PM

chrisFWD sounds like you did exactly what needed to be done. Let us know how it goes!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!