• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

302 Redirect For A Day Or Two

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 SynexServices

SynexServices

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 12:01 PM

Hi all,

I am currently working with a client of mine to get their new website up and running on a different host than they originally were using as their original host didn't support PHP for Wordpress.

The problem I am having is that I have transferred their domain and their web designer has disappeared and failed to transfer the new website from the web designer's domain to the new webhost.

I am now forced to do a redirect from the new webhost to the web designer's subdomain where their new site was being hosted while it was in development or else there will be a dead link for everyone to see when my client's business launches tomorrow.

What do you guys think would be the best redirect type to make, a 301 or a 302? My understanding is that 302 would be in theory the correct choice, since it's a temporary redirect only for a day or two until we can get a hold of the web designer and have him complete the transfer. My understanding, however, is also that an off-site 302 redirect can have some significant SEO consequences, even leading up to a full ban of the domain by search engines according to one source I had found. I of course want to avoid any unnecessary damage to SEO rankings due to the need to temporarily redirect the page.

Does anyone have any feedback and/or suggestions of how to handle this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Dave Smith
Synex Virtual Business Services

#2 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,127 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 12:37 PM

Just use a 301-redirect and remove it later when you get things sorted out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!