• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Yahoo & Bing Rankings Plummet

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 btreloar

btreloar

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 04:45 PM

A client has excellent rankings in Google, but Bing rankings dropped by 75% last August and Yahoo rankings dropped by 75% as well, but not until November. A typical keyword ranks #1 in Google but #48 in Yahoo and Bing today. Bing results have been recovering slowly and are now down only wacko.gif 50% from before. Yahoo results are still down 70% or so. I've been watching for recovery, assuming some significant algorithm change happened, but six months is a long time to be in the doldrums.

I've checked on-page optimization for a few sample keyword phrases and compared it against the top rankings sites in Yahoo, and we're not out of range in any respect there. I checked MozRanks, and found the top 5 results in Yahoo range from 0.0 to 4.83 with an average of 1.85. Our client has a MozRank of 3.89.

All signs indicate a healthy, well-optimized site.

Has anyone else experienced this? Were there any known algorithm changes about that time? Any suggestions of what else to examine for answers/solutions?

#2 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,148 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 06:00 PM

Bing's Duane Forrester just Tweeted me that most of their guidelines are "current to last year". Some updates are coming. I think you need to look at the Bing Webmaster Guidelines and see if anything stands out.

#3 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,039 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 06:26 AM

Disclaimer:

Rankings may go down as well as up. If you fail to make allowances for this and suffer financial hardship as a result {insert SE name} cannot be held responsible.

#4 btreloar

btreloar

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 08:57 AM

QUOTE(Michael Martinez @ May 12 2011, 07:00 PM) View Post
Bing's Duane Forrester just Tweeted me that most of their guidelines are "current to last year". Some updates are coming. I think you need to look at the Bing Webmaster Guidelines and see if anything stands out.

I must admit, I haven't looked at the Bing Webmaster Guidelines, feeling safe knowing the Google guidelines and since we only do White Hat SEO. But your suggestion is well received; I'll check those out immediately.

#5 btreloar

btreloar

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 09:00 AM

QUOTE(chrishirst @ May 13 2011, 07:26 AM) View Post
Disclaimer:

Rankings may go down as well as up. If you fail to make allowances for this and suffer financial hardship as a result {insert SE name} cannot be held responsible.

That's pretty obvious, Chris. And fluctuating rankings are a fact of life. (Witness one of my favorite cartoons here: http://www.rankedhar...pectations.php)

But what we've seen here is an order of magnitude greater than what we typically encounter.

#6 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,148 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 12:30 PM

Duane said something at SMX West like, "Whatever you do for Google should generally be good for Bing" but you should still make sure there isn't something in the Bing guidelines that is different from Google's guidelines. They are not using the same algorithms so usually when you see a discrepancy like this in search behavior that means there is something one algorithm simply objects to.

The first place to look in that situation is the specific search engine's guidelines.

Unfortunately, since the Bing guidelines are not completely up to date, if you don't see anything obvious you may have to experiment your client out of the dip. That is time-consuming.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!