• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Ga Profile Showing 0 Data

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 johking

johking

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 09:12 AM

Hi there

A friend has reported that all their GA data is gone. The site has been up for over a year, with the analytics last known to be working at the end of March.

I went to have a look and indeed there is a profile there showing a whole list of 0s and a "tracking not installed" warning. When I went to check the status, I found that the Web Property ID has -2 at the end of it, instead of -1 (which is the code on the site), so no wonder there are no results. The Website URL shows the www version.

There are a number of profiles set up for different small sections of this site which are working fine and show all their data for the past year. They have the -1 Web Property ID and show the Website URL as non-www.

This makes me think that the problem has to be the www/non-www issue, though why the main profile has changed like this I have no idea. By the way, the www address has a 301 redirect to the non-www address.

They are really anxious that they don't do something wrong and lose all their data for the past year (might it all be lost already?). Underneath the dud 0-data profile, there is a suggestion to add a new profile, with the correct Web Property ID (-1) and the non-www address.

Should they just add this new profile? Is there anything they can do to recover the lost data?

I have tried the Google Analytics forums and no-one is answering, so hope some of you smart folks can help me to advise them.

Hope this all makes sense but please ask if not!

Jo

#2 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,067 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 12:36 PM

They should embed the code for whichever profile has the history. They should not be trying to track analytics for www-versus-non-www. They should canonicalize their domain names (unless they are serving different content on the two variations, which a very small number of people have done).

#3 johking

johking

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 01:36 PM

Hi Michael

Thanks for replying. They are not intentionally trying to track analytics for www versus non-www. The problem is that there is no profile with any history at the moment. The code on the website is and always has been the -1 version which was successfully getting data until recently. For some reason that profile is not there any more, only this -2 version with no data.

I can add the -1 version profile which should work, but I suspect it might just start gathering data again from scratch...

Thanks

Jo

#4 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,067 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 03:30 PM

I don't know. It sounds like someone somewhere broke something but it's hard to say what.

#5 johking

johking

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 06:47 AM

I know - a real puzzle... Thanks for your time

Jo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!