• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Javascript Drop Down Menu?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 doogie88

doogie88

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 11:54 AM

I read a graph that said 2% of people don't have javascript enabled. I'm thinking of using a javascript dropdown menu.
Looking at this one here:
http://www.mycssmenu.../#css-menu-demo
Do you think it's okay to use javascript? OR should I use something that is accessible by 100% of people?
Or can I do JS and somehow have an alternative for that 2%?

I found a jQuery one that doens't look as nice. Or is jQuery javascript too?
I want a menu where I click an item it drops it down underneath. I don't want a mouse over one, as some some groups will have 30+ items in it and scrolling down will be a pain. So I need something that if they click it or mouse over, it will stay there and they can move their mouse off it, scroll down, etc.

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,967 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 11:59 AM

You should be able to do that with a css menu.

#3 Catz

Catz

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 01:55 PM

That is actually an interesting tool. It can be used to customize pre-coded CSS menus if you click the customize button.

Those are actually CSS menus rather than javascript. They have an option to use a little javascript work-around in them but do not rely on javascript to get the job done.

It says they produce "cross browser / cross code menus, capable of running on 100% Pure CSS alone, or JavaScript if it's present in the browser.

Script enhanced menus retain the full benefits of true Pure CSS code with JavaScript disabled browsers, search engine spiders, screen readers, and validators."

Sometimes we add a little javascript to get our CSS to work better in IE6 (sorry folks, people do still use it and they are not going to switch simply because you want them to).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!