• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Seo Beginner's Questions Please?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 mikehende

mikehende

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 09:00 AM

Hello everyone, I am new here, just finishing up my site and wish to learn SEO inside out to bring traffic to me site. I have read many tutorials online but still confused about certain issues and also wish to know if what I am doing is right so I would greatly appreciate if anyone here can help answer my questions please?

I offer quite a few services and my site will reflect those services by having a page dedicated to each service, my services include Web Design, Pc/laptop/Mac repairs and upgrades, IT Consulting and DJ and Home music entertainment services so it's a lot to consider for SEO purposes. First of, regarding the names of my URL pages, far as I understand, even though I would like to reach people worldwide, I am being advised to put my location within the filenames, I am located in New York but just how detailed should my filenames be with my location, for example, my address is:

X... street
south ozone park,
Queens, New York

I am in the County of Queens, NY so it is best to simply include "New York" in the page name like:

New-York-About-Us.html
New-York-Contact-Us.html

e.t.c?

Or would it be better to go with

Queens-New-York-About-Us.html?

or

South-Ozone-Park-Queens-New-York-About-Us.html?

Which of the above is best please? Thanks.

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 09:39 AM

None of them.
Any of them.
All of them.

I'd suggest starting at the [url=http://www.highrankings.com/forum/index.php/topic/833-tips-for-new-seos/]Tips for Newbies[/url] rather than getting hung up over such trivialities.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 11:15 AM

It's interesting how URLs are the new meta keywords these days...

#4 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 12:23 PM

This leads me to conclude I may already have one good idea for this year's list of Hard Core SEO Tips. Just 19 more to go....

#5 mikehende

mikehende

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 02:10 PM

I have followed tips from tutorials on the net and have used Metatags.org to do the Title, description and keywords, their web analyzer shows these results:

CODE
Metatags Advice

After studying your metatags we have the following advice:
Title:    Title meta tag contains no errors.
This tag contains 49 characters.
Title relevancy to page content is good.
The Title relevancy to page content is 71%.
Description:    Description meta tag contains no errors.
This tag contains 178 characters.
Description relevancy to page content is good.
The Description relevancy to page content is 76%.
Keywords:    The keywords tag contain stop words.
The keyword(s) 'it' are stop words and ignored by the most search engines. Keyword relevancy to page content is fair.
The keywords relevancy to page content is 67%.
Robots:    The Robots meta tag contains no errors.
This tag contains 13 characters.
Author:    The Author meta tag contains no errors.
This tag contains 18 characters.

Web page analysis.
The size of the web page is good. See also our words counter
The size of the web page is 6034 bytes.
The web page load time.
The web page load time is 1 seconds.

I have named all images alt tags, what should I do next please?

#6 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,695 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 03:14 PM

This might sound a little hokey, but there's a bit more art to this sort of thing than science, so I tend not to pay much attention to tools that feed me relevancy as a percentage. You have to always keep in mind that your real audience is people using search engines, not the search engines themselves. You want to provide search engines with sufficient signals of quality and relevance that your pages will show up in the right search results, but what really matters is that the people who see those search results are sufficiently impressed that they'll click through to your page.

So if you want to know if you're better off optimizing (and we can deal with whether "optimizing" necessarily means getting keywords into your URLs later) for New York, Queens, or South Ozone Park, the first thing you need to think about is what your potential customers are searching for. If people in South Ozone Park aren't being quite that specific when they search for local services, then you don't need to be that specific either.

And there are other factors to keep in mind while you're considering that:
  • How wide an area do you plan on serving?
  • How much competition will you have to deal with, both online and in the analog world?

#7 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 03:15 PM

Load of pointless crap!

Go straight to the [url=http://www.highrankings.com/forum/index.php/topic/833-tips-for-new-seos/]Tips for Newbies[/url], do not pass Go! Do not collect $200

#8 mikehende

mikehende

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 11:33 AM

let me ask these questions for which I simply cannot find an answer on the net anywhere, first question is regarding anything moving on a webpage [video, slideshow, animation], as usual there are conflicting views on this so I won't bother with this, what I would like to know is, if you do have any of those on a page, would this prevent or hamper the search engines from doing it's job effectively or would it simply be of no use to the search engines? If it would hamper the engines from doing it's job then can anyone explain why please?

#9 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 12:07 PM

I would not characterize the use of SEO tools as "science". Science is the process of collecting and organizing our knowledge -- and by that definition I would argue there is a great deal of science involved in search engine optimization.

Tools reduce the process to a simplified mechanization. I would argue there is far more art and science than mechanization involved in successful search engine optimization.

#10 mikehende

mikehende

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 12:14 PM

QUOTE(Michael Martinez @ May 3 2011, 01:07 PM) View Post
I would not characterize the use of SEO tools as "science". Science is the process of collecting and organizing our knowledge -- and by that definition I would argue there is a great deal of science involved in search engine optimization.

Tools reduce the process to a simplified mechanization. I would argue there is far more art and science than mechanization involved in successful search engine optimization.

Ok then so some articles are saying that use of video's, animation is not good for SEO purposes and other articles say the exact opposite, how would I know which is correct?

#11 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 02:23 PM

I've never heard anyone say that videos are bad for SEO. Why would they be?

#12 mikehende

mikehende

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 02:31 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ May 3 2011, 03:23 PM) View Post
I've never heard anyone say that videos are bad for SEO. Why would they be?

On another forum, I was told that "anything with movement" [hence video, animation, slideshow] is not good for SEO, unless in the case of slideshows if the script is linked to an external file. This is what is getting me with this SEO stuff, too many conflicting info so how would one know who to believe?

#13 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 03:06 PM

On another forum, I was told that "anything with movement"

I would suggest avoiding that forum.

#14 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,695 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 04:02 PM

If a video or a flash animation is the only thing on the page, you're not giving the search engines anything to index. But if you've got a page of unique, interesting, informative text there's no harm in adding video to the page, as long as you're doing it for people. If it makes the page better, use it. Just don't rely on it to carry the page.

#15 CopywritingConsultant

CopywritingConsultant

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 01:09 PM

In general, the more text/keywords on your website or in the URL, the more likely you will be to rank for a keyword search including those terms. This is very basic SEO.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.