• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Dns Pointing Of Multiple Domains

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DontIndexMyName

DontIndexMyName

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 02:56 AM

notworthy.gif Hello guys! I'm new to High Rankings after discovering quality SEO topics and solutions in Google SERP, so I did the right thing and signed up!

I've been SEO'ing for about 3 years now but never ever messed around with pointing domains and testing the results thereof. So I need you to help me out with something here.

Lets say I have (W) my website and its domain and (D) I have gone and registered three DOMAINS.

(W) - Website
(D) - 3 newly registered and pointed domains

I've done some DNS pointing with the A and WWW records for all three new domains. So now when you go to (W), everything is still the same which is a good thing. When you go to (D) it shows my site but with the entered domain still displaying in the address bar.

How would search engines rank these new domains (D) since it now basically has (W)'s content on it? And as I'm suspecting, if the search engines does index (D) does this mean duplicate content?

Edited by DontIndexMyName, 21 April 2011 - 03:47 AM.

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,009 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 06:41 AM

They would likely just choose one domain that they thought was the real one and index that. They may mistakenly index some pages of the others which would potentially split your PageRank.

It's preferable to 301 redirect the additional domains to your main one.

#3 DontIndexMyName

DontIndexMyName

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 07:20 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Apr 21 2011, 01:41 PM) View Post
It's preferable to 301 redirect the additional domains to your main one.

Thanks Jill!

But what if the domains were registered specifically because they contain important keywords? Would a 301 redirect help with the rankings of those keywords or is the only other alternative to actually get content published onto that domain and then to stick a one way link back to the main site?

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,009 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 07:30 AM

You're wasting your time and energy on doorway domains. It's considered web spam by google. Work on your real site instead.

#5 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,106 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 10:15 AM

biggrin.gif Let's market like it's 1999 (to paraphrase Prince).

#6 RoadTrucker

RoadTrucker

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:54 PM

I am assuming that you are talking about pages that have some content on them. But what about pointing a parked Domain with no content to your website. For example, say I have a website mywidgets.com and a parked domain bluewidgets.com. In the control panels they allow you to enter a URL for that parked domain. Say blue widgets are popular and people do type that into the search engines. Is this the same as a 301? or is it considered spamming?

Similar, say I had a website mywidgets.com and a page in that website mywidgets.com/bluewidgets.html. And I pointed my bluewidget.com parked domain to mywidgets.com/bluewidgets.html

Thanks.

#7 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,106 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:27 AM

Is this the same as a 301? or is it considered spamming?

No and pretty much, yes

Similar, say I had a website mywidgets.com and a page in that website mywidgets.com/bluewidgets.html. And I pointed my bluewidget.com parked domain to mywidgets.com/bluewidgets.html

Waste of time, once a redirect is in place the redirected name ceases to exist, and if they are NOT redirected they are duplicates.

Use the names for PPC marketing or "brand protection" yes, for "SEO" absolutely NOT!

Edited by chrishirst, 02 May 2013 - 10:27 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!