• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

What Ranks: The Domain Or The Ip Hosting The Domain?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lister

lister

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 01:48 PM

A domain is a string of numbers right? so blah blah dot com is 193.5432.3.23.2322323. etc

So therefore if that domain is moved (correctly) to a different host - all is well?

Only reason I ask is b/c I often get confused with domain name servers and the actual domain...

I just want to know b/c I am thinking of moving our domain to a differnet server and language, (from asp to php) and with all the correct redirect 301's in place, i am concerned that the different hosting package will affect the ranking?

Thanks!!

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,728 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 03:57 PM

A domain is a string of numbers right? so blah blah dot com is 193.5432.3.23.2322323. etc
Well almost.

A SERVER would be identified by a 32bit numeric value commonly represented as a "dotted quad". Four bytes (8 bits).

The change of host will not affect rankings BUT the change of URIs certainly will. Why not simply makes .asp extensions be parsed as PHP? assuming the move is from Windows hosting to *nix hosting of course.

Even with a permanent redirect in place, it will take time for the pages to recover, if they ever completely do.

#3 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,041 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 12:59 PM

Hm. A typical server these days has several IP addresses associated with it. I don't know why things developed that way, as I always thought that the protocol (HTTP, FTP, HTTPS, etc.) combined with the port number (:80, :443, etc.) modified the IP address sufficiently to let all services function.

I don't know enough about all this stuff to be able to explain why extra IP addresses are used for things like email and/or DNS name servers. Maybe that's just a convention people have developed out of fear of having an IP address blocked by some blacklist somewhere.

#4 lister

lister

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 04:21 PM

QUOTE(chrishirst @ Apr 20 2011, 09:57 PM) View Post
Even with a permanent redirect in place, it will take time for the pages to recover, if they ever completely do.

Thats a shame that it is not 100%

#5 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,728 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 04:37 PM

as I always thought that the protocol (HTTP, FTP, HTTPS, etc.) combined with the port number (:80, :443, etc.) modified the IP address sufficiently to let all services function

Sort of. The IP represents a physical point where the hardware is connected to the network, and yes a single piece of hardware can have several IPs associated with it.

The port number is basically a "hole" (think of it as your ear) where the incoming data stream is collected from.

The hostname (domain) is decoded from the communication packet and passed to the software (server) that is "listening" for packets being sent to IP+PORT+HOSTNAME.

TCP + HTTP Communications protocols over simplified in a nutshell biggrin.gif

#6 rolf

rolf

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 02:59 AM

It is definitely the URL that ranks. Definitely.

Just to clarify further, it is pages at a specific URL that rank. Change the IP and that is no problem, but change the domain or the page name or the extension (collectively the URL) or change the page content and you will get that page re-ranked.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!