• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Specializing In Long-tail Kw Research?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 PatrickGer

PatrickGer

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 10:48 PM

just had this quick thought....:

If I wanted to leverage my deep curiosity (i think this is my main strength) in SEO/Internet Marketing - any chance I could do this by specializing in keyword research?

mostly by finding industries where the tail of search is reeeeeeaaaallllly long and most of the competition who doesnt like to dig deep is missing out on tons of valuable traffic, by not shooting for the long-tail?

I remember some well known seo blogger stated that in some industries most of the traffic comes from the head of search whereas in others the tail of search is insanely long/thick - those where the tail of search is insanely thick would seem the places for me to find in order to specialize in deep kw research.

PS: then again I remmeber michael martinez telling me that one should optimize for topics, not keywords (hope i dont confuse anything). - does this kill my idea of "finding industries where the long tail is huge...are the ones to go to if i want to specialize in keyword research"?

thanks!

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,878 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:30 AM

IMO the very nature of long tail kws is that not very researchable nor do they need to be. If you just write stuff you will naturally be found thru lt kws that just happen to be in the content.

#3 PatrickGer

PatrickGer

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 01:43 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Apr 17 2011, 04:30 PM) View Post
IMO the very nature of long tail kws is that not very researchable nor do they need to be. If you just write stuff you will naturally be found thru lt kws that just happen to be in the content.

How about PPC - any idea?

I just did a test run for a friend's friend (both agency SEOs) trying to find the right sites to target for their biz dev. team - and it only made me realize how extreme I am at this deep research thing. expected me to look up the top sites in the space for 6 different topics within 1 hour (it wasnt paid for - only a test run), and I just spent an hour scratching the surface of what I would have liked to research for one topic.

I would have 'loved' to use different keyword tools to dig as deep as possible into keyword permutations (I mean keyword+modifiers that make sense),etc. etc. . I really just scratched the surface of how deeply I would have enjoyed researching this, yet I already totally overdid it.

Any idea if I could use my love for deep researching things in SEO/IM?

PPC keyword research in long-tail industries seems to be a possibility?

or industries where people regularly need deep research for the creation of their content?

thanks!

Maybe companies that are wondering if they should enter certain markets? maybe even the german market....? Does anyone out there do that type of analysis in SEO/IM?

thanks!

(obviously no need to reply to every single question Im asking Im just spilling ideas left and right wink1.gif)

#4 Beakon

Beakon

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 06:53 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Apr 17 2011, 10:30 AM) View Post

I disagree. Long tails are very researchable and should be. Why just write stuff about weight loss and hope to get picked up on some long tail keywords, when you can find long tail keywords like (quick weight loss tips) with anywhere from 1000 local monthly searches up to 10,000 and optimize directly for that and rank much easier.

Or you could still go ahead and write a generic weight loss article, but if you did your long tail keyword research ahead of time, you could find ways to implement the long tails you found with high searches like:

quick weight loss tips
weight loss without exercise
best weight loss program

Now you can back link this article with all these anchor texts including just weight loss. You will get picked up for the long tails well before you ever get picked up by just [weight loss] and atleast you know those long tails have good traffic.

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,878 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 10:36 AM

with anywhere from 1000 local monthly searches up to 10,000

Except that those aren't longtail keywords if they're getting that many.

By its very definition, longtail keywords are only those searched upon once in a blue moon. Perhaps 1 time a month or even 1 a year. That's why they're called longtail. They are only good keywords in aggregate.

What you're talking about are good keyword phrases, perhaps even what I call keyword gems. They are of course researchable. Longtail ones really aren't since they are rarely searched upon and don't show up in data. Which is fine, because you don't need to know what they are to get traffic for them.

#6 michael_ter

michael_ter

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 01:16 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Aug 29 2011, 10:36 AM) View Post
What you're talking about are good keyword phrases, perhaps even what I call keyword gems.

I dare to call them "Crumbs from the Masterís Table". I run some sites and do not pay for ads at all. So for the main keywords I can not be higher then #3 or 4 because #1 is Wikipedia, #2 - Amazon.com, #3 - eBay. You know why. How Google dare to say about relevant searches if its search results depend on fact who paid more? In past I paid for keywords when this tricky business started at go.com, then overture.com, I took part in those crazy auctions and in the end realized that I lost more than earned and gave it up - this is unfair game and for sure only one player wins - the player who shuffles the cards.

I do not want to pay $1-3 per click (just empty clicks!) as I sell little inexpensive things. The only way to survive is to find words and phrases CPC of which is $0.05 (it means nobody bought them yet). Hopefully they will turn from crumbles into gems but soon the gems will be taken away by somebody.

This post was mainly inspirited by the last Jill's article in her newsletter #316 "Why SEO in All the Right Places Doesn't Cut It Anymore". Jill advised
a new strategy in these new conditions and it sounds as "Consolidate your business, be ready to pay more and spend more." I wish I were wrong and I understood the article not correct because of my poor English.

#7 piskie

piskie

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 04:13 AM

Except that those aren't longtail keywords if they're getting that many.

Jill, I always considered "Longtail Keywords" to be determined by the number of words in the phrase, not by search quantity.
So does the popularity of a search phrase promote it from Longtail to maybe generic regardless of the number of words in the phrase ??

#8 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,878 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 07:21 AM

Yes exactly. It's got nothing to do with the number of words, that's just people mixing up causality.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!