• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Proposal From Boss - Lots Of Links Away From Our Site On Home Page

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ConfusedNewbie

ConfusedNewbie

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 10:00 AM

Hi

I've had a proposal from my boss for a new home page for the company website. On the proposed home page, he would like to include links to high quality content websites for the sector, such as magazines, and tv shows that are relevant to the business we are in.

His reasoning is that if we offer them a link from our home page, they will offer links in return. In my opinion, he won't get those links unless he pays for them, so offering a link from the home page is a moot point.

Would doing this positively or negatively effect our search engine positioning, on the basis that 9000 of our 11000 organic visits per month come from PageRank based Google ?

Cheers

Confused (as always)

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,956 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 11:37 AM

It would drive people away from your website. Why would he want to do that?

If he's wondering if he'll get links back, I'd suggest asking the other parties first.

#3 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 12:31 PM

I would advise against this. The links are not being provided to benefit the users and they won't really be relevant for the destinations. It's just another cheap, smarmy SEO scheme -- and therefore should be avoided.

#4 CalistaV

CalistaV

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 05:01 PM

QUOTE(Michael Martinez @ Apr 4 2011, 01:31 PM) View Post
I would advise against this. The links are not being provided to benefit the users and they won't really be relevant for the destinations. It's just another cheap, smarmy SEO scheme -- and therefore should be avoided.

Ya... a lot of people fall into that trap.

Chances of you getting a link in return are low. But also A-B-A Link trades (where you are both linking to each other) are not worth very much anymore. In the beginning yes... but now it's not worth your time and frustration it will take to get links back.

Also, keep the percentage of links going off your homepage : LOW. You don't want to be a link-farm or anything like it. If you want to link offsite... do it on Highly focused sub pages and only do a few links: keep it low.

As was mentioned... you don't want people leaving your site. You are only doing this because you don't want to be too isolated either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!