• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

How Do You Feel About Domains With Hyphens?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16 polymon

polymon

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 08:08 PM

For domains without hypens, you can capitalize individual words, like this
MySpecialDomain.com

#17 littleking

littleking

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 08:44 AM

New to the forum!

Hyphens are not spammy unless there become too many words. As Matt Cuts puts it, more than 6 words or so it starts to look spammy. It's all about user readability, so if your domain is more easily read using hyphens.. all the better.

It depends on what you are doing. If you are trying to develop a brand and are doing a lot of of offline marketing, I would go with a branded url. If you are hoping to drive your sales and success through rankings, a keyword-rich url is better.

Hope this helps!

Ryan

#18 ForumEngine

ForumEngine

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 03:59 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Mar 30 2011, 08:44 AM) View Post
Domains with hyphens look spammy no matter how you slice it.

Um, could we maybe be sort of spinning out of control in our concerns about spam?

Domains with hyphens are user friendly and easy to read.

For a domain like yours, with only two words, not so important. But try stringing three or more words together without a hyphen and see if you can figure out what the domain name means. There are spaces in between words for a reason!

Regarding spam. SEO is a form of marketing. All those search result listings are little ads. We're all in the advertising business. Ok, maybe it's not a real glamorous and meaningful business, but it's what we've chosen, so we'd be wise to make peace with our choice.

Spam doesn't equal advertising. Advertising doesn't equal spam.

The word spam has a specific meaning. Unsolicited bulk commercial email.

We dilute the word spam, and the fight against it, if we start applying the word spam to everything that we don't like.

#19 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,004 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 08:32 AM

The word spam has a specific meaning. Unsolicited bulk commercial email.

That is email spam. There is also web spam. Search engines don't like it.

#20 ForumEngine

ForumEngine

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 08:46 AM

Perhaps it would be helpful for us to define what web spam is? Do you have a definition that is as clear and concise as the definition for email spam?

To me, the word "spam" is so loaded with moral judgment that I'm having a hard time understanding how it applies to the web. But, I'm willing to learn if you're willing to teach.

#21 ganalon

ganalon

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 04:37 PM

My GF, who is 10x the web pro I am, has had success with a domain containing a single hyphen. Recently she bought the non-hyphenated [<- is that a pun?] version that 301 redirects to the hyphenated version. The hyphen helps in her case because the URL is LASTNAME-BUSINESS. Her success has come through branding and social media.

That said 1 hyphen max, generally 0 is best... IMO.

#22 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,103 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 10:23 AM

QUOTE(ForumEngine @ Aug 28 2011, 02:46 PM) View Post
Perhaps it would be helpful for us to define what web spam is? Do you have a definition that is as clear and concise as the definition for email spam?

To me, the word "spam" is so loaded with moral judgment that I'm having a hard time understanding how it applies to the web. But, I'm willing to learn if you're willing to teach.

The Classification of Search Engine Spam
Ten years old now, but probably still the most accurate definition you will find

Basically you can liken SE spam to agressive real world marketing,

forum signatures and blog commenting = telesales cold calling.

Abusing "social media" = "fly" posting or thrusting flyers in to your hand while walking along the street

#23 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,004 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 11:11 AM

Webspam as defined by Google.

"'Webspam' refers to pages that try to trick Google into ranking them highly. "

#24 ForumEngine

ForumEngine

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 03:59 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Aug 29 2011, 12:11 PM) View Post
"'Webspam' refers to pages that try to trick Google into ranking them highly. "

Ok, that's a concise definition, thanks.

I guess "trick" would be any web publishing technique that doesn't have the approval of the Google Corporation. By this reasoning, if Matt Cutts should write an article I don't agree with, his article could be called spam too.

Ok, I realize I'm semantic quibbling like an old lady English teacher. You got me there.

It just seems like the word spam has been so diluted, polluted, mangled and manipulated that we've reached the point where we'd be better off without it.

It seems the word spam has itself become spam, useless clutter clogging up conversations.

#25 colorado1

colorado1

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 01:01 PM

Domains with hyphens are effective, but I would hold the hyphen down to using it one time. I have had domains with hyphens rank well and I have had .net rank as well as .com. The one thing that I think is a larger factor than hyphens in a domain is the domain length. In my experience any domain longer than about 20 characters is getting to look like spam and will be recognized by Google I believe.

One of the biggest problems is getting a good domain because so many brokers have gone out and bought up alot of good domains unfortunately.

#26 RWare1

RWare1

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 09:46 PM

QUOTE(polymon @ Apr 21 2011, 08:08 PM) View Post
For domains without hypens, you can capitalize individual words, like this
MySpecialDomain.com

Please don't do that. Some webservers are case sensitive and if users would not use the exact case you do, they won't get to your site. The may be less of a problem today than years ago, but it's still to be avoided.

#27 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,103 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 06:30 AM

QUOTE(RWare1 @ Sep 18 2011, 03:46 AM) View Post
Please don't do that. Some webservers are case sensitive and if users would not use the exact case you do, they won't get to your site. The may be less of a problem today than years ago, but it's still to be avoided.

Domain names are case insensitive regardless of the server technologies used.

It is folder/directory and file names that are case sensitive on *nix servers.

#28 Alan Perkins

Alan Perkins

Token male admin

• Admin
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 10:26 AM

QUOTE(chrishirst @ Aug 29 2011, 04:23 PM) View Post
The Classification of Search Engine Spam
Ten years old now, but probably still the most accurate definition you will find

Thanks for that Chris! embarrassed.gif

Hyphenated domains should be purchased and 301 redirected to the unhyphenated version. If you own the hyphenated domain and not the unhyphenated one, you have a marketing/branding problem. And so, to a lesser extent, does the owner of the unhyphenated domain.

The best hyphenated domain I ever bought (and it doesn't follow the above redirect advice) was upsh-tcreek.com but after three or four years I hadn't found a use for it, so let it go ...

#29 imbrod

imbrod

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 05:48 AM

I am for hyphens. It's more human readable, and I think it's search-engine-readable.

#30 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,004 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:53 AM

Search engines do a remarkable job of parsing words that are smooshed together without hyphens these days. Which makes hyphens unnecessary in most cases.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!