• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Url#bookmark Usage And Google

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 seobarry

seobarry

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 08:15 AM

I'm implementing a new comment system for a client which uses a lot of bookmarking in the following way:

<a href="pagelocation.htm#comment38">

On the page pagelocation.htm the following code is then included, the user would end up on that part of the page after clicking the above link on a different page of the website.

<a id="comment38" href="pagelocation.htm#comment38" class="comment-anchor">nr 38</a>

As you can see this code is also a link, linking to its own location.

My question now if in general, the additional #bookmarkname in url's can confuse Google?
Or does Google understand this flawlessly and would it never cause issues?

I was thinking myself that it may result in Google thinking that pagelocation.htm#comment38 would be a different url than pagelocation.htm and would therefore think to identical pages exist with different urls.

Related to this, I was wondering if it would be useful to use the canonical tag to avoid any issues?

<link rel="canonical" href="http://www.mysite.co...gelocation.htm" /> that would be in this case I guess

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,958 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 08:37 AM

My question now if in general, the additional #bookmarkname in url's can confuse Google?

It's perfectly fine with Google, and a great way to do it so that you're not creating multiple URLs to the same page.

Related to this, I was wondering if it would be useful to use the canonical tag to avoid any issues?

It shouldn't be necessary.

#3 seobarry

seobarry

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 03:11 AM

Thanks for the answer!

Does everybody agree on this or are there other opinions?

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,958 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 06:29 AM

This is one of those rare instances, where the answer is not an opinion, but based on fact.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!