• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Panda On March 9th?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Trilitech

Trilitech

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 08:07 PM

I'm working with a site who had 60% of their US Google traffic disappear more-or-less overnight. Other search engines and non-US Google traffic was unaffected. It's a 3 year old forum/blog that has gradually built up rankings over time legitimately by publishing good original content.

Trying to get find the cause of this traffic drop, I discovered there are about a half dozen other sites scraping it's content. This site is the original source of that content, but I'm not sure if Google realizes this; one of the sites scraping the content has similar rankings as the site I'm working on. I think Google may be suspecting this site of scraping content and it got hit by the Panda update, but the drop happened on March 9th and I believe the Panda update rolled out Feb 24th.

Do you agree this sounds like the cause? Anyway to tell for sure? What's the best course of action if so? Report spam sites and fill out re-inclusion request?

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,956 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 07:11 AM

Do you agree this sounds like the cause? Anyway to tell for sure? What's the best course of action if so? Report spam sites and fill out re-inclusion request?

Could be. Impossible to know without studying all the factors. It wouldn't hurt to file a reinclusion request as long as you're not doing anything you wouldn't want the Google engineers to look at. Point out the other sites that are stealing your content, and if you can somehow prove it's yours, that would likely be best.

#3 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,115 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 12:09 PM

There was an extensive round of "lost rankings" reports the week of March 9-13. I would not necessarily associate that algorithm change with the original Panda release. It's not like Google stopped modifying its algorithm with Panda.

Now, it could be a Panda-2 update but I wouldn't worry so much about whether it's connected with Panda or not. The reality is that you lost traffic. You should review the Google Webmaster Guidelines with a broad interpretation to see if maybe the algorithm is assessing your content in a way you didn't expect.

#4 Ron Carnell

Ron Carnell

HR 6

• 966 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:33 PM

It should still be pretty easy to tell if Panda is affecting a site because the update has only been implemented in the United States.

Go to google.ca and perform a search on your keywords (making sure you avoid personalized search, of course). That is where your keywords would rank in the U.S. were it not for the Panda update.

#5 Trilitech

Trilitech

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 04:24 PM

Michael - Could you point me to these reports? I've seen a ton from late Feb, but no others from the week of March 9th other than the usual volume. My reason for wondering about Panda isn't just to give it a nice name, it's to the narrow down the cause to something scraper/content farm related so I know to focus efforts there instead of digging around elsewhere.

Ron - It has only affected US traffic. Rankings weren't the same in google.ca as google.com even before this happened, but there has been no decrease in traffic from non-US Google visitors. That's a pretty strong indicator to me that it's the recent algorithm change, but I don't believe that is the only thing that can cause a drop in US rankings only. I guess that's one of my main questions really.

#6 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,115 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 07:38 PM

QUOTE(Trilitech @ Mar 22 2011, 02:24 PM) View Post
Michael - Could you point me to these reports? I've seen a ton from late Feb, but no others from the week of March 9th other than the usual volume. My reason for wondering about Panda isn't just to give it a nice name, it's to the narrow down the cause to something scraper/content farm related so I know to focus efforts there instead of digging around elsewhere.

Send me a private message and I'll send you a list of forums where I have these reports. It won't be comprehensive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!