• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Is Submitting .txt Files To Sitemap Proper Protocol?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 hiline

hiline

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 05:30 PM

Hi,
I recently uploaded a new re-designed site, did a 301 re-direct from all old pages to new, submitted a sitemap to google, and generated a robots.txt file to prevent google from indexing my old pages.
Here is my question- since the new site is done mostly in .php, there is virtually no body text, (HTML). All of the text visible on the site is .txt files called in with .php. I was told to include these .txt files in my sitemap but this doesn't seem right.
Knowing that the search engine crawlers main objective is to find the most relevant SERP's for a given search query, I wouldn't think .txt files in the root directory would be considered relevant.
Am I right or will these files be crawled without issues?
Thank You

#2 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,013 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 02:36 AM

QUOTE(hiline @ Mar 20 2011, 03:30 PM) View Post
Hi,
I recently uploaded a new re-designed site, did a 301 re-direct from all old pages to new, submitted a sitemap to google, and generated a robots.txt file to prevent google from indexing my old pages.
Here is my question- since the new site is done mostly in .php, there is virtually no body text, (HTML). All of the text visible on the site is .txt files called in with .php. I was told to include these .txt files in my sitemap but this doesn't seem right.

That would defeat the purpose of serving the content through the PHP files. You should only include the TXT files in a sitemap if the content of the files is not replicated through other URLs.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,863 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 06:36 AM

since the new site is done mostly in .php, there is virtually no body text, (HTML). All of the text visible on the site is .txt files called in with .php. I was told to include these .txt files in my sitemap but this doesn't seem right.

You're thinking of it incorrectly. View the source code of your site in your browser. All the text is there as HTML, that's how it works.

You're fine and don't need to submit the .txt files via your site map as they are all included already.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!