• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Specializing In International/german Seo

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 PatrickGer

PatrickGer

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 02:32 PM

For someone who can speak & understand English almost as well as German (my mother tongue) would it be easier to try to become an SEO consultant doing German language SEO...for US/UK companies...? rather than trying to compete in the English language SEO market (doing SEO in English)?

Anyone have an idea if it would be easier for me to get business that way?

@Jill (or anyone else who does consulting): Do you ever get inquires from people who'd like to / who need to have their website(s) optimized for the German market (or other languages than English), which you then have to turn down? (if I may ask)

PS: I can only stress, that I'm not trying to be a consultant before I have a solid portfolio (which I'm working on at the moment (2 businesses of friends))...and will first look for an in-house role, actually.

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,614 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 06:04 PM

Anything that can set you apart from other SEOs is worth putting out there and making use of, and being bilingual can be a big selling point.

I actually do work on sites in numerous languages, but only in my day job where I work on my employer's network of sites, and they know I'm not fluent in any of those languages. I'd never have claimed I could do that as a freelancer. Instead, I've always said that I work for global clients, but only in English (I have had clients in Canada, the UK, and Australia, not to mention my sort-of hobby site about a Ukrainian in France, which is strictly in English too).

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,928 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 12:28 AM

@Jill (or anyone else who does consulting): Do you ever get inquires from people who'd like to / who need to have their website(s) optimized for the German market (or other languages than English), which you then have to turn down? (if I may ask)

I do get asked about sites in other languages, but not specifically German. It's often companies that have sites in many different languages.

I'll definitely keep you in mind though if I ever hear of someone looking specifically for German SEO!

#4 PatrickGer

PatrickGer

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 02:36 PM

thanks for the replies qwerty + jill!

@Jill: So you usually get inquiries from companies who need to have their sites SEO'd in(to) multiple languages (sometimes including German, I assume?)...in other words who want to hit the international marketplace in general, but never about sites that need to be optimized only for the German language market?

thanks for keeping me in mind in case you ever get an inquiry like that :-). Hopefully, my portfolio will be good enough by then ;-)

@qwerty: just out of curiosity - do you know anyone who has been able to leverage being bilingual as a big selling point? just asking, because the "big selling point"-thing raised my hopes a little ;-) (not too much, though lol).

#5 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,614 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 06:38 PM

Just try running a search for [bilingual seo] [multilingual seo] or [german seo] and you'll find a number of firms touting their abilities.

I recently had a prospect I had to turn down because their budget was too low, but it would have been pretty interesting. They're a business translation service working in English and Norwegian, and their current site is all in English. It makes no effort to market to Norwegians looking to reach out to the English market -- it does mention that service, but it does so in English.

Had I taken on the project, I would have relied on them to translate whatever English content we came up with into Norwegian, but that raises the question of whether that would have been good enough to market to Norwegians. A search query that's valuable to English speakers isn't necessarily going to be valuable to Norwegian speakers just by translating it into Norwegian. I would have had to do with them what I do with the people running my company's sites in other languages, which is walking them through the process of keyword research in their own language and having them determine, based on that research, which terms we need to optimize for.

#6 PatrickGer

PatrickGer

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 02:19 PM

thanks! I know there are multilingual seos out there, but was wondering if theyre doing (much) better / had a much easier time to break into the market than your average English-only SEO.

I need to read through the Norwegian example you brought up - not making sense in my head, right now (really busy), will go through it later, again.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Mar 13 2011, 12:38 AM) View Post
Just try running a search for [bilingual seo] [multilingual seo] or [german seo] and you'll find a number of firms touting their abilities.

I recently had a prospect I had to turn down because their budget was too low, but it would have been pretty interesting. They're a business translation service working in English and Norwegian, and their current site is all in English. It makes no effort to market to Norwegians looking to reach out to the English market -- it does mention that service, but it does so in English.

Had I taken on the project, I would have relied on them to translate whatever English content we came up with into Norwegian, but that raises the question of whether that would have been good enough to market to Norwegians. A search query that's valuable to English speakers isn't necessarily going to be valuable to Norwegian speakers just by translating it into Norwegian. I would have had to do with them what I do with the people running my company's sites in other languages, which is walking them through the process of keyword research in their own language and having them determine, based on that research, which terms we need to optimize for.

#7 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,614 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 02:53 PM

I know there are multilingual seos out there, but was wondering if theyre doing (much) better / had a much easier time to break into the market than your average English-only SEO.

I'm not suggesting it's easier for a bilingual SEO to break into SEO in general. I'm just saying that bilingual SEO -- real SEO in both languages as opposed to doing SEO in one language and then hiring a translator to deal with the other -- is a service most of us can't offer. I don't know if there's enough work in that niche to sustain you, and you'll probably need to get clients with single-language sites as well, but it's absolutely a selling point you should push to set yourself apart from the rest of us.

#8 PatrickGer

PatrickGer

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 03:41 PM

QUOTE(qwerty @ Mar 13 2011, 08:53 PM) View Post
I'm not suggesting it's easier for a bilingual SEO to break into SEO in general. I'm just saying that bilingual SEO -- real SEO in both languages as opposed to doing SEO in one language and then hiring a translator to deal with the other -- is a service most of us can't offer. I don't know if there's enough work in that niche to sustain you, and you'll probably need to get clients with single-language sites as well, but it's absolutely a selling point you should push to set yourself apart from the rest of us.

I see. thanks for the clarification (exp)!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!