• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Change Domain Name?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Nanzilela Obejane

Nanzilela Obejane

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 05:37 AM

My host and ecommerce platform has gone into liquidation so I have to move host and find a new platform. This will mean setting up a host of 301 directs as the product URL's will all change with the new platform. The domain name may stay the same.

I was thinking that now would be an opportune moment to change to a more keyword centric domain name rather than my company name at presant. I do feature in the top 4 in Google UK for my main key phrase - that is my market so that is most important. I've been advised that I am unlikely to get any higher without a keyword centric domain - but not impossible.

I am able to have URL's wih my current domain coupled with related keywords to the products.

Would it be best to stick with what I've got and make sure I have relevant URL's to the products rather than worry about a single key phrase that is 60% of the impressions on Google?

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 06:55 PM

I do feature in the top 4 in Google UK for my main key phrase
And you don't think that is demonstrating that  "keyworded domains"[/hr] are NOT "important"

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 12:12 AM

Exact match domains actually are extremely helpful. Matt Cutts has even said as much very recently. He's also said that they're working on a way to dampen that factor in the algo. If they actually do that, you'll be switching right at the wrong time.

To me, a branded domain is always better than a keyword one, unless you're just an affiliate site selling something that lots of others are selling.

#4 Nanzilela Obejane

Nanzilela Obejane

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 08:08 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Mar 12 2011, 12:12 AM) View Post
Exact match domains actually are extremely helpful. Matt Cutts has even said as much very recently. He's also said that they're working on a way to dampen that factor in the algo. If they actually do that, you'll be switching right at the wrong time.

To me, a branded domain is always better than a keyword one, unless you're just an affiliate site selling something that lots of others are selling.

Thanks very much - we do sell a specific product www.agrisellex.co.uk and the domain I was considering was "electricfencingsupplies"

#5 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 04:29 PM

Exact match domains actually are extremely helpful. Matt Cutts has even said as much very recently.

I've never yet seen an example where the hostname has been THE reason, a small factor maybe but outweighed by titles, body text and anchor text.

#6 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 04:50 PM

AND

"electricfencingsupplies" <> "electric fencing supplies"

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 12:01 AM

QUOTE(chrishirst @ Mar 12 2011, 04:29 PM) View Post
I've never yet seen an example where the hostname has been THE reason, a small factor maybe but outweighed by titles, body text and anchor text.

If you mean domain name (not host name) there are a zillion examples showing how crappy little sites with very little value rank very highly just because of an exact match domain.

And yes search engines have long been able to understand that "electricfencingsupplies" means "electric fencing supplies."

Just look at mykindlereviews.com website and how highly it ranks for Kindle Reviews even though it's pretty shitty (it's mine so I can say that!).

#8 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 04:36 PM

If you mean domain name (not host name) there are a zillion examples showing how crappy little sites with very little value rank very highly just because of an exact match domain.
A hostname is the fully qualified domain name (including the TLD/ccTLD)

Just look at mykindlereviews.com website and how highly it ranks for Kindle Reviews
I'm somewhat surprised at you saying that, especially the phrase "My Kindle Reviews" appears in the title ostensibly THE most important place for target phrases, in headings, in anchor text.

Certainly it MAY be of some help but it is in no way shape or form THE reason for being top

#9 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 05:51 PM

Well it's not on the top, but it does much better than it should (and would, imo) if it didn't have that domain name. While not hugely competitive, there are many other pages that should theoretically outrank it, all things (besides domain) considered.

#10 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 07:01 AM

The operative word being theoritically of course.

and it is top from where I'm sitting.

It is also in the same position for allinanchor:, allintitle: and allinbody: searches and the cached page lights up like a Christmas tree,

It is eigth for "kindle reviews", and of course in each of the results there are nine other results that demonstrate the domain/hostname is not that important.

#11 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,695 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 11:56 AM

Here's the latest from Google on this issue:

Keyword Rich Domain Names Next To Be Hit By Google
Now if you are still on the fence, let me just give you a bit of color. that we have looked at the rankings and the weights that we give to keyword domains, & some people have complained that we are giving a little too much weight for keywords in domains. So we have been thinking about adjusting that mix a bit and sort of turning the knob down within the algorithm, so that given 2 different domains it wouldn't necessarily help you as much to have a domain name with a bunch of keywords in it.

#12 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 01:34 PM

Let's hope they stop looking at it and actually do something about it, because it's really an embarrassment to them the way it is now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.