• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

How Does Flash Hurt Your Ranking?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MangoSango

MangoSango

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 05:06 PM

I know flash is a SEO no-no, and I understand why. It is not readible for a search engine. But that is when the website is totally flash. Does it also hurt your ranking if it just contains a topbanner flash animation? Will Google see it as if it was a jpg image?

#2 mickmel

mickmel

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 05:38 PM

That's a not an issue. The main problem is when the site navigation is in Flash, or like you said, the entire thing is. Flash doorway pages can hurt, too.

A flash banner at the top will have very little negative impact.

#3 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,067 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 05:56 PM

Think of using Flash to create content for search engines as one of the least efficient ways to go about doing so. Search engines want to index text, and you cannot include much text in a Flash object and the search engines have to work harder to extract that text from the objects.

#4 piskie

piskie

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 02:31 PM

If you create an otherwise conventional web page which has relevant text etc and you just insert a Flash object as you would an image, then there is no downside that I am aware of.

#5 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,588 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 03:53 PM

Flash doesn't have to a be a problem for SEO. Older article, but AFAIK it's still relevant: How to SEO Flash. thumbup1.gif

That said, it's still not a good idea to create an all-Flash site. Having your entire site in Flash could present an accessibility/usability issue, depending on how the Flash is coded, and -- again, depending on how it's set up -- can make it difficult for people to bookmark individual pages. Some folks might find that frustrating. bash.gif

Not to mention that iPads and iPhones don't do Flash at all... eek.gif

--Torka mf_prop.gif

#6 dibsmft

dibsmft

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:50 AM

In spite of Google indexing Flash content for about 4 years, today was the first time I was offered not a page, but a .swf file from it.spcollege.edu as the first result. The search was for divalent alkene and returned 309, 000 results. Well I never :-)

#7 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:23 AM

... it's still not a good idea to create an all-Flash site. Having your entire site in Flash could present an accessibility/usability issue, depending on how the Flash is coded ...

That's right. The worst thing about a badly-coded all-Flash site is that it breaks the Back button, which is an unforgivable sin in my book.

Mike

#8 lister

lister

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:21 PM

I dont know your site but can I offer you some advice to bin flash. Go with HTML5 video - its works great and plays everywhere - you need to convert 3 files, .mp4, ogg and webm and it will play on anything - and - is responsive to mobile.

I used to like flash but it is just ageing now. I live in the US and work with many talented developers and designers. Saying you use flash is a bit like saying you still use an abacus. Well..not really but - anyways, try and re-capture the motion in video.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!