• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Drop Down Menus On Main Navigation

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 shakin318

shakin318

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:59 AM

I'm adding new pages/new original content to an existing site, and the site's existing horizontal navigation really doesn't have the flexibility to include any more "top level" navigation items. I'm going to use css/html (not javascript) to create drop-down menus for my main navigation.

Are there any issues with drop-down menus on one's main navigation that I should be aware of when it comes to SEO?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:44 AM

Typically no, there are no issues for SEO with CSS menus.

#3 oldmatt

oldmatt

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:31 PM

I happen to love dropdown CSS menus. I use them on just about every website I build.

#4 shakin318

shakin318

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:07 PM

Realized tonight that my site was built using a Spry menubar (while this is not the first time I've changed list items on my navbar, it is the first time I've looked into adding dropdowns...the Spry info was there in my code all along, now I guess I know what it is embarrassed.gif)

So I guess I'll have to alter my question: Does using a spry menubar (which includes javascript) have negative consequences as far as SEO?

EDIT: Regardless of SEO implications, have determined that using a spry menubar for dropdowns probably isn't a good idea due to many people having javascript turned off in their browsers, which would render my dropdowns invisible. The on the job learning continues...

Edited by shakin318, 07 March 2011 - 10:28 PM.

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:08 PM

Do the links in your menu show up in your source code? If so, you're probably okay.

#6 piskie

piskie

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 02:38 PM

I've always been suspicious of Spry and Spiders. Looking at the coding that Spry produces, I would rather not rely on Spiders finding their way through it so I don't use it at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!