• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Redirecting Already Redirected Pages?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 doogie88

doogie88

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 08:59 PM

Originally I had www.example.com/page.html, then 301 redirected to www.example.com/keyword/keyword2.html and I did it in a real ugly way that the sub directory was a little long at times, some pages even www.example.com/keyword/keyword2/keyword3.html

I'd like to go back to something basic, how will it work since the original links 301 redirect to the current links?
Or should I just leave it?

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,619 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 10:26 PM

Since it would be a bad idea for any requests to hit multiple redirects, you should point the original 301s to the new URLs and point the URLs to which those original 301s initially pointed to the new ones as well.

In other words, if a.htm has an old redirect pointing to b.htm and you now want to redirect b.htm to c.htm, make sure you redirect any requests for a.htm to c.htm too, because you don't want requests for a to be redirected to b and then redirected from there to c.

And that's leaving out the question of whether this is something you need to do in the first place, which is certainly worth asking. You might be better off leaving things as they are now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!