• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Links Page Vs. Links Sidebar Column On A Main Content Page

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 shakin318

shakin318

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:50 PM

My site is for a small local business. I have a page on which I give useful and generic (non-salesy) "tips" to readers who may be interested in my services. I think it would make very good sense for this page to include links to companies providing complementary (as opposed to competitive) services. My question is does it matter if the links I provide are in a sidebar on a main page of my site -- one that offers a rich amount of other content -- vs. putting all the links on their own "links" or "resources" page?

I only ask because I want to make sure the links I provide to other businesses are actually of value for their own SEO purposes.

Perhaps it's a stupid question -- I can't imagine it would make any difference -- but reading some of the older threads in this section, it was brought up a few times and there seemed to be some conflicting advice on this.

Thanks in advance.

#2 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,085 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 02:31 AM

QUOTE(shakin318 @ Feb 28 2011, 06:50 PM) View Post
My site is for a small local business. I have a page on which I give useful and generic (non-salesy) "tips" to readers who may be interested in my services. I think it would make very good sense for this page to include links to companies providing complementary (as opposed to competitive) services. My question is does it matter if the links I provide are in a sidebar on a main page of my site -- one that offers a rich amount of other content -- vs. putting all the links on their own "links" or "resources" page?

The best thing to do is place the links where your visitors will be most likely to see them and click on them.

I only ask because I want to make sure the links I provide to other businesses are actually of value for their own SEO purposes.

Perhaps it's a stupid question -- I can't imagine it would make any difference -- but reading some of the older threads in this section, it was brought up a few times and there seemed to be some conflicting advice on this.

Thanks in advance.

It's not a stupid question. When used correctly, outbound links enhance the value of a Website.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,928 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:55 AM

My question is does it matter if the links I provide are in a sidebar on a main page of my site -- one that offers a rich amount of other content -- vs. putting all the links on their own "links" or "resources" page?

While I agree with Michael's advice that you want to put the links where they'll be most useful to your site visitors, you also want to think about whether you want to take people off of your site or not.

If you put links to other sites on your home page, people may be less apt to stick around and see what you have to offer which seems awfully counter-intuitive for what most would want on their websites.

#4 shakin318

shakin318

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 11:17 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Mar 1 2011, 07:55 AM) View Post
While I agree with Michael's advice that you want to put the links where they'll be most useful to your site visitors, you also want to think about whether you want to take people off of your site or not.

If you put links to other sites on your home page, people may be less apt to stick around and see what you have to offer which seems awfully counter-intuitive for what most would want on their websites.

Thanks for the replies. I wouldn't put the links on the home page. My site at present is only 6 pages deep; the links would be presented in a sidebar on a "you might also find this helpful" kind of info page that is last on my nav-bar. I'd set it so clicked links launch in a new tab or daughter window. The links provided would be relevant to the copy on the page, and useful to my visitors.

#5 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,085 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 01:29 PM

While Jill raises a very important point about where you place high visibility links on your site, keep in mind that you cannot really "keep people on your site". You want to create an inviting, compelling atmosphere that encourages people to click deeper into your site and to come back, but you also want to show them great resources so that they think of your site as a great resource.

There is a balance point and every site has to work its own way to that point. There is no one way to do it.

I do sometimes place outbound links on my home pages. But most of the time I don't.

It comes down to how important you feel it is to inform your readers of that other site's content.

#6 DJKay

DJKay

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 03:54 PM

You probably already thought of this.....and I am mentioning it anyway..not sure what analytics you are using, but Google Analytics has event tracking. You can use event tracking for any number of things, one is tracking external links off the site...you can use it for call to action stuff (tracking a button vs a link). Here is an article on it that explains it pretty well.

Event Tracking to Monitor Calls to Action In the article, it mentions using event tracking for external links off the site. We are doing it on our sites. Very useful information.

DJKay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!